Menu

Question about Sonlight Core 100

hsmom3tn

How much of this core covers the Civil War and beyond?

I am looking for something for American History that is literature-based and starts with the Civil War, but not finding anything that looks right for us. I am okay with only using part of Core 100, if it's at least half of it. I'm sure the rest of the core is great, but we will be picking up where we leave off in a different Amer. His. curriculum, so I don't want to start all over again so soon. Does that make sense?

ETA: I know my kids aren't old enough for Core 100 now; I'm just looking ahead for the 2011-2012 school year. Whether or not I can find something that suits our needs may alter my decision about curriculum for the 10-11 school year.

Edited by hsmom3tn

SL 100 uses the Hakim books, and book 6 starts the Civil War. You could look at the sample pages of the IG online - they show week 1, week 18, and week 36. This should give you an idea of how far they get through Hakim's books at those points. I hope this makes sense!

Another suggestion that might be more age appropriate (or not) - Winter Promise has a lit-based program (also contains projects and notebooking) that goes from the Civil War to the present - American Story 2 (for younger ele) and All American History 2 (for upper ele/middle school).

Hope that helps!

Edited by sandra in va

I have the IG for SL Core 100 to do next year. Hakim's book 6 starts on Week 17 and there are 36 weeks in the program. If you think you are interested, look for deals on used sets. I picked up the IG for $50 and almost the entire set of books for $140, including Hakim's series.

If you have any detailed questions about the IG, I'd be glad to look them up for you. I will be going out of town, though, tonight and for the weekend.

It was over half of the year. We use a traditional Aug-May schedule and started the civil war before Christmas. It was the only thing my kids were really sick of by the time we finished :lol:. Things have been a little slow since, we are still just at the turn of the century. I'm wondering how we're going to gloss over 2 world wars and everything else that has happened in the last 100 years in the last quarter!

We have had a great year with Core 100 though. Ds used it and dd followed along in History of US (I read it out loud) and did the readers and we all did the read alouds from 3+4.