Menu

Question about AP exams.

Is there a minimum age/grade to take these? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to taking them early?

I am thinking of AP Spanish. My 11 yo dd is bilingual. I am trying to think things through regarding foreign language(s) in High School for her. Would it be possible for her to take the exam in 10th grade, for example? Would there be an emotional maturity issue regarding the materials required? If she could have the AP under her belt by the end of 10th grade, then she would have two more years to start a new foreign language before college.

This is all hypothetical. I still don't even know if this would be the way my dd would be inclined to go, but I just would like to find out if it is feasible.

Thank you so much for your insight.

Our local public school requires pretty much the entire 10th grade to take UP Human Geography and then take the exam. Enough kids do well on the exam that the school district finds it worthwhile!

I assume that for the Spanish AP exam there will be a section where the students need to write answers in Spanish. For a younger student with less writing experience, that section will probably be the greatest challenge.

I didn't let my older two kids do any AP classes until their junior year, but my younger kids will start doing AP's in 10th.

From what I have been told by kids who have taken the AP Spanish exam is it is very hard. One of the kids has a parent who is bilingual and TEACHES high school spanish (not AP) and he only got a 2. Another friend's child is extremely gifted and he said there were things on the exam that he had no clue as to what it was even talking about. He took the AP class and only received a 2.

Thank you all for replying and sharing your experience with me.

The AP website is a mine of information. I am planning to get my dd to do some of the sample tests to see where she would place at this point.

I really am grateful for all of you who replied and gave such good advice.