Menu

Need a some guidance re: Lang. Arts.

OnTheBrink

Ok, given that our lives have changed and I'm wanting to go with more of a "packaged" curriculum, I've been reading with interest the threads on CLE, MCT, and trying to find info on BJU.

CLE and BJU look good for their rigorous content, BUT, my dd tends to not do so well with traditional formats, hence my enthusiasm about Miquon in the Miquon thread. I read in that thread that MCT could be called the Miquon of Language Arts. Here is my multi-faceted conundrum: I want something that dd can do relatively independently. I love the idea that MCT would be like Miquon was for her, but how teacher intensive is MCT, really? What about BJU or CLE? I'm walking a fine line of wanting to guide her toward more traditional methods so college isn't a huge departure from what and how she's learned at home, and wanting to ensure what she learns is sticking and that it's being fed into her in ways she'll learn it. Does that make sense?

This year, we're using LLATL, Harvey's grammar, Book of Roots vocab and sadly, we've done very little writing, other than daily journal writing.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I think BJU is a great all in one package! I use the BJU English 2 for my daughter and the BJU online K4. I also own many of their other books. They seem very thorough , yet not too advanced. They do seem a little more on the pricey side. If you order, order from rainbow resource. You can get them a bit cheaper there! Good luck! :)

I'm not sure how I can help. We're doing CLE LA 4 and it's going well. My dd doesn't *love* it, but it's rigorous and challenging for her and she's learning. I needed the independence too, for life circumstance reasons, but we still do some together.

That said, I think if I had the chance I would switch to MCT. I keep hearing such great things and I think that excitement factor is something serious to consider. I understand what you mean about wanting her to understand more traditional stuff, but I don't recall actually studying grammar in college, it was already supposed to be a known thing. So ultimately how she gets there and develops a love for LA is more important, IMO. Unfortunately for me we are going to do Classical Conversations this Fall including Essentials, so I'll have all my LA in that. I can't afford to jump into MCT right now and try to do both this fall - it's too much.

Seems like you can't go wrong with either but my vote is for MCT for creating and excitement and love of LA. (at least that's what I'm hearing..)

We've done CLE and MCT Level 1. If you're looking for thorough and independent, CLE is great. It is a workbook format, though, but my 2nd grader did LA on her own this year with CLE. In January, we started reading through the MCT books (for some variety) and these she could not do on her own - I have to go through the reading/examples with her. Also, our daughter is a Perfect Paula and I think the MCT is annoying her. My son will (later) probably love MCT (he's a Wiggly Willy).

CLE LA is going to have a lot of grammar, punctuation, address an envelope, "circle the correct answer", spelling lists, spelling rules, handwriting, "read the passage and answer the questions" and stuff like that-things a Perfect Paula are going to love. You can see samples on their website. MCT seems like high-level grammar with a Charlotte Mason flavor to it. The book we're in now is just the parts of speech (verb, noun, adverb, etc). There's no other grammar or punctuation rules in it.

As far as writing, we do Writing With Ease. :thumbup: