Menu

Need ideas for 'light' classes...

DS will be starting his 10th grade year, and he has gotten accepted into our local vo tech program (something he has been wanting to do since he found out it was an option). He will be taking an electrician course there. I haven't asked about how the credits work for the program, but he will be at the vo tech school for half of the school year for his remaining high school years. I am looking for some courses that might be a little bit of a lighter load for him, knowing that he will need to complete them in half the year...

By the end of this year he will have completed High School Biology, Algebra, Algebra 2, Modern World History, as well as 9th grade LA...He is NOT a fan of writing...is a very quick to pick up a text, read it and do well on comprehension...He also learns easily from videos, and somewhat enjoys reading...

Any ideas??

He will have those classes completed..(Alg 1 and 2, Bio, Eng 9, and Modern World History) by the time this year is finished...so we don't need recommendations for those. He wants to take driver's ed for an elective next year, so I don't think we need another elective...what I am looking for is some suggestions for 'easier' high school curriculums that we could choose from...He was planning to take Geometry and Chemistry, as well as American History...but I don't want to get rigorous programs for him...although he is a fast learner he just won't have the time (and chances are ambition) to do a tough class... (and he is not set on those subjects...he has waffled on taking a finance class or business math). He basically wants to go to vo tech...he is not 'into' his schoolwork at all, but knows that he needs to do it to be able to attend the school...

Sorry if I am not making much sense...

What about using books from the "Dummies" or "Idiot's Guide to . . ." series to cover subjects he is interested in (American History for Example). Also there is a series of books called the "Demystified" series (Geometry Demystified for example). I think these books are very useful . . . don't let the titles turn you off. Check out the local library and take a look at a few before you purchase. They probably don't contain tests, etc. but given your son's choice I don't think that would matter much . . .

You could certainly round out a subject with videos (watch documentaries for to go along with history, for example).

I am considering some of these books for my older dd who is not very academic and is probably going to go the CC route. I WISH she would pick a vocation . . . I feel, in this economic climate especially, this route is a sensible way to go.

Oh, and just to assure you, my dh has worked for 20+ years as an electrician at Northwestern University. He did not finish college but enrolled in a vo tech program in Chicago. the University is a Nice place to work, great benefits. He could make more working out of the union hall, but this job is stable and the benefits have to be looked at as part of his salary.

Adrianne in IL