Menu

Liberty Math K

Quiver0f10

Absolutely hated it. Sorry! I had both my boys on the same track for a couple of years, even though one is 9 months older than the other. They were fine coming through pre-K and Kinder (we did A Beka curriculum), but then we hit 1st grade and DS1 was fine for the math, DS2 struggled, so I bought him that text. :ack2: Page after page of addition sums. That's all they taught for at least the first half of the book. My poor boy was just.... couldn't stand it. I couldn't stand it. So, I bought him a kindergarten math book from Costco. It's not a great book, but at least it's colorful and it has more than just sums.

My oldest used it, but not as a homeschool student; she went to the private school affiliated with the publisher. Their math is designed to be drill intensive. You memorize the facts by number families. Ex. ~ Family 5 would have the following partners 0 & 5; 1 & 4; 2 & 3. The student memorizes the partners and then the problems that come from those partners (0+5, 5+0, 1+4, 4+1, 3+2, 2+3, 5-0, 5-5, 5-1, 5-4, 5-2, 5-3). The main goal for K is to get through Family 10. There are other topics (time, money, etc.) toward the end of the book. It worked great for my daughter, but we were faithful about doing the drill work daily. The kids who didn't drill at home generally didn't do as well. As homeschoolers we've used Math U See instead, but if my homeschool budget got slashed, I'd probably return to CLP and just make sure to use some hands-on activities and add variety into the drill work.