Menu

Considering Lial's BCM--too light on algebra?

I will be teaching pre-algebra in a co-op next fall and am trying to choose a textbook. I should have 5-6 students, ranging from 6th-8th grade and of varying abilities. I'll meet w/ the class once per week for 1 hr 15 min, plus be available thru e-mail and phone. I'm a homeschool mom who taught public school math for many years (Alg II, College Alg/Trig, Calculus . . . but not prealgebra). I've looked at many pre-algebra texts--Holt, Abeka, BJU, etc--and found Lial's BCM thru reading many posts on this forum. I fell in love w/ BCM. I guess I'm only second-guessing myself because some might consider it "light" on its actual algebra content.

At least a couple of my students have not yet mastered fractions, percents, word problems, etc. Abeka would be my second choice, but it gets into algebra fairly quickly. I feel confident in my ability to supplement whatever text I choose. But since I'll be teaching two co-op math classes, tutoring public school students, and homeschooling my daughter, I don't want to create unnecessary work for myself.

So I guess my question is--do I go w/ BCM and add some extra algebra, time permitting, after we've mastered the basics, or do I go w/ Abeka and supplement w/ extra review of the basics at the beginning of the course??

For those who have used BCM as your pre-alg text, did you have an easy transition to algebra?

Thanks!

Cathy

and I also used it with my oldest daughter... she was/is NOT a mathy person and she transitioned easily into Algebra 1 (we used Lial's Introductory Algebra).

BCM will help bring your younger students up to speed and the word problems will challenge your older students (those last few in each section may require HELP from you or a parent so make sure to really look them over before you assign them--the homework teaches ABOVE the tests--I usually use the tests as a guide for what I need to assign--the rest is gravy.

Near the end of the year if you want to go a little further into Algebra 1 then you can easily supplement with worksheets you can make (free) on http://www.math.com (click on 'Algebra 1' and then on worksheet generator).

By providing your students a FIRM foundation it will make Algebra so much easier to understand--more than working ahead on harder Algebra one concepts just 'because'...

my instincts tell me to go with BCM. I've encountered too many Alg 2 students who were still weak in their understanding of basic mathematical concepts. I do have plenty of algebra supplemental materials that I can use when the time comes.

Since you're familiar w/ BCM, may I ask a couple more questions? The mother one of my prospective students is hoping I choose a textbook which has a digital video tutor because she feels she can't adequately help her daughter w/ math homework. Altho I wasn't aware of this request until after I found BCM, I see that there is a DVT available. Have you ever used this, and do you think it's a valuable resource? Personally, I think the book itself has excellent explanations, but the DVT might provide a little extra support in this instance.

Also, are there any supplemental teacher resources that you consider a must-have?

Again, I appreciate the advice from someone who has used the book.

Thanks so much.

The DVTs are adequate--but not anything I would want to watch every day. For $30 it is not a bad investment if the student needs a bit of extra help--but I'd suggest waiting to see IF it is needed before purchasing.

I like having the TE--just for the ease of having the answers to the evens at my fingertips for extra examples. Many times you can find the TE listed with the student texts on Amazon--you have to read the descriptions...

I also do not assign the 'Relating Concepts' questions or any of the 'explain how or why' type of questions in the homework--most middle school students would have difficulty with these (logically) and I don't think they are of much value in a 'homework' setting (maybe OK in the group setting). I think it is important to assign ALL of the problems in the chapter review--I've found this critical as a teaching/practice tool. I usually save the Mixed Review for 'just in case' moments.