Menu

Has anyone used BJU history for 8th grade and beyond?

I have used BJU history 9th grade on. In 11th grade, they do American Lit. and US History, and the dvds have the same teacher. We used BJU World History this year along with A Beka World Literature. I am starting to tire of textbooks..... BJU World History is a pretty good text, but dd is tiring of the constant stream of facts, and some of the chapters really mix up a lot of different topics. That is really hard to keep straight on the tests. I don't know how you would have time to mix literature and the textbooks, we find it hard just to complete the textbooks in a year, and to answer your question, BJU is strictly textbook (and a study guide if you want that, but there is a lot of duplication with that and the text questions).

I would suggest going to a hotel meeting for BJU. They have all of the books for each grade out (and usually have the teacher's editions underneath the table.) I am thinking that there may be literature suggestions in the t/e. Also, Well Trained Mind has great suggestions in the Logic and Rhetoric sections for history. And, you can google as well.

BJUP has it's own literature program, so there aren't many recommendations that way. They do have a good amount of mapwork and the TG's have suggestions for research and other projects. In the end though, it's basically a classroom program that some use for homeschooling. I can see how it would be easier with the online/DVD approach.

IMHO Notgrass is more engaging and is better set up for homeschooling, but YMMV.