Menu

A few questions about IEW

Danestress

If I buy the TWSS set, would I listen to all the tapes before starting to implement any of them? Or do you listen to some, try using it with the kids, work on that a while, and then listen to the next step. With two boys who are ten and are basically willing to right, will we progress pretty quickly? Is there any point in letting the children listen to the tapes made just for them if I really want to use our writing as an "accross the curricula" plan. I really want to try next year to have them writing daily and consistently about history and science lessons.

thanks

I just purchased IEW for this year. Based on our short experience you can listen to about the first three hours and then get started with the kids. The older the children and the more experience they have at writing the faster you can move through the program. Basically, he introduces what I consider two warm-up stages to introduce children to writing. Then you progress into learning improvements in style and different types of writing. The writing exercises can be based in any subject you choose with any material you choose. Everything is introduced in stages, once you have a good grasp of x move to y. (I did think long and hard about that last sentence and chose not to use the word "master" because I don't think that is the point of the program.)

Remember, the entire program is intended to go up to or even into high school. There is no finish all this by 3rd grade and then... You can begin the program day one with writing about history and science.

I would listen to the first three or four lectures then start with the kids and then keep listening to one lecture every few days until you finish. JMHO.

See if their website helps. http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/

Ideally, if you can at all make the time, watch the entire set before you start. It helps to see where you are going. then go back and watch each tape before you teach it. If you want to integrate it across the curriculum, your best bet is just using the TWSS.

Would they be 5th grade next year or so? I would think you could expect to get through all but the last unit or two next year and then all of the units the following year.

Ideally, if you can at all make the time, watch the entire set before you start. It helps to see where you are going. then go back and watch each tape before you teach it. If you want to integrate it across the curriculum, your best bet is just using the TWSS.

Would they be 5th grade next year or so? I would think you could expect to get through all but the last unit or two next year and then all of the units the following year.

Thank you for your help. If I got through all the units in those three years, then what do you do in the years after? Just keep reinforcing and practicing?