Menu

Oak Meadow Math for middle school?

Tohru

Has any one used Oak Meadow's math for 7th? I looked at there single page sample and like how it talks to the student, however I'm a bit nervous about the philosophy behind Oak Meadow and how that might affect the math program.

Right now we are using Lial's BCM and it is fine, but I'd much rather have a program that ds can do on his own without me needing to clarify some (most) concepts.

If you have used OM's math, does it seem to prepare them for high school level math? Is there much review? Too much, too slow? Other opinions?

Thanks!

Right now we are using Lial's BCM and it is fine, but I'd much rather have a program that ds can do on his own without me needing to clarify some (most) concepts.

I thought BCM was written to the student? If it's going fairly well otherwise, have you thought about just getting the DVTs to go with the BCM? Or even the Khan's Academy videos (free online)?

I thought BCM was written to the student? If it's going fairly well otherwise, have you thought about just getting the DVTs to go with the BCM? Or even the Khan's Academy videos (free online)?

It is, but he still doesn't understand it nor the examples a lot of the time. I'm not sure why. But if I rephrase what the text says and show him, then he gets it right away.

I saw the sample on OM's site and it pretty much used the same language I use when I re-explain concepts to him, that's why I'm curious to see what other's experience of OM's math is.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else? :bigear:

I don't think my ds likes BCM very much and I know that I'm pretty tired of scheduling it out for him...skipping some things, revising, etc. Most the samples deal with things that he doesn't care about, ie: car payments, COGS, etc. If he was older it might apply better.

I don't want to buy OM Math 7 if it is behind or if it is horrible. Any one actually use it and have an opinion?

TIA

Guest Cindie2dds
There's a newly-created Oak Meadow social group - you may get some better answers over there, if the OMers don't mosey back over here ;)

:D. I think we've all been over there mostly. It's very active. Come see us!

Has any one used Oak Meadow's math for 7th? I looked at there single page sample and like how it talks to the student, however I'm a bit nervous about the philosophy behind Oak Meadow and how that might affect the math program.

If you have used OM's math, does it seem to prepare them for high school level math? Is there much review? Too much, too slow? Other opinions?

Thanks!

We used OM 6 this year and I just purchased OM7. I really like it, and so does my daughter (and that's saying something!). The only thing it lacks is extra practice. I think that's why she likes it, LOL. But the explanations are very clear, and the math is straightforward. Each unit (one week) usually has an A, B, and C lesson, and either a mixed review (every other week) or a test (every other week). There are not tons of problems every day (16-20). We've been pleased with it.

We need to get to Algebra quicker, so we're going through OM7 this summer without the reviews & tests, and right into Pre-Algebra for the fall. OM8 overlaps with just about everyone's scope & sequence for Pre-Algebra (I specifically looked at Saxon and Chalk Dust).

Hope that helps!