Menu

Who sprouts their wheat B4 milling?

I have just started sprouting & drying my wheat B4 milling. I made this recipe and it turned out great (though I would have liked for it to rise a little more):

1 1/2c. hot water

2 tsp. salt

1/4 c. honey

1/3 c. EVOO

4.5 c. sprouted wheat flour

1 Tbsp. flax seed

1 Tbsp. yeast

Please post your experiences with/recipes using sprouted wheat!

I would like another bread recipe that uses less honey. I am also looking for muffin recipes using sprouted wheat!

Thanks!!!

I have only tried sprouting wheat once before grinding it because it took soooooooo long to dry it. If you are sprouting the wheat to make it more digestible you can also just grind the wheat regularly. Then place as much as you will need in your mixing bowl and add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (I make 4 loaves at a time). Mix this around for a few seconds and then leave it covered overnight. THen make bread as usual. This will start to break down the hard to digest part of the wheat just like sprouting does.

Good luck!

I have only tried sprouting wheat once before grinding it because it took soooooooo long to dry it. If you are sprouting the wheat to make it more digestible you can also just grind the wheat regularly. Then place as much as you will need in your mixing bowl and add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (I make 4 loaves at a time). Mix this around for a few seconds and then leave it covered overnight. THen make bread as usual. This will start to break down the hard to digest part of the wheat just like sprouting does.

Good luck!

Interesting! Does the apple cider vinegar dry before you use the flour? I've always read to grind the wheat right before you use it in order to keep the oils in it from going rancid. Would I lose that benefit if I let it sit out overnight with ACV in it?

I've been learning so much about the science of making bread and I'm having fun with it. Sprouting my own wheat (or trying this) fascinates me!!

If you think about how long store flour takes from being ground to being shipped, stored, baked, I tend not to worry about it. If you want, store your flour in the fridge or the freezer and it will last just fine for a week or two. It's still much more healthy than store bought flour or bread for that matter.

Since you asked a follow up question, I looked up about the apple cider vinegar. It neutralizes the phytic acid that is in grain, which is the same thing sprouting does. Soaking it this way also contributes to a lighter texture in the finished product.

I forgot to add the water in my first post.

I'd put about 8 c. of flour in the bowl and add 2 T. ACV and 2 c. water. Mix and cover and let it sit 12-24 hours. Oats actually have the most phytic acid and need the full 24 hours but other grains can just be left out overnight.

If you really want to get into this I'd recommend Sue Gregg's cookbook "An Introduction to Whole Grain Baking."

Sprouting:

Soak grain in water for 12 hours.

Drain and rinse well.

Let it sit for 2-3 days. Rinse and drain twice a day.

Sprouts will be 1/8-1/4 inch long.

Spread the sprouts on dehydrator trays and dry completely. (About 12 hours)

Make sure the grain is COMPLETELY dry before milling or you can damage your mill.

Sprouting:

soak grain 12 hrs

rinse, place on cookie sheets, cover w/damp cloth, place in oven WITH LIGHT ON (do NOT turn it on) for 12-24 hrs (barley sprouted - LONG sprouts)

dry (dehydrator or out on paper towels

mill or freeze to store)

My Q is recipes!!! I can't find one I like that uses sprouted wheat flour!

Edited by kmacnchs

Good luck!

The way I sprout is so easy (to me) - it is the recipe part that is hard. The bread I made, even though it tastes great, is a little mushy in the middle :tongue_smilie:

Could you tell us how to sprout wheat? I have plenty of wheat to try it out on!! I usually just grind the wheat and make the bread right away.

Thanks,

The purpose of sprouting (how I understand it, anyway) is that grains have phytic (sp?) acid in them in the bran (?). Sprouting reduces the acid, making it easier to digest and helps you to absorb more vitamins (which phytic acid blocks).