Menu

What suppers/dinners did you grow up with?

Sometimes I overcook a cut of meat just for old time's sake. lol.

What memories. Hmmmm.

:lol:

The few times my mom did cook, she ALWAYS set the fire alarm off with burned bread (yk, the kind that comes frozen and pre-buttered :001_huh:). Every once in a while I set off the fire alarm and I have a slight panic attack that I'm turning into my mother.

She thinks I'm weird for grinding wheat and baking my own bread...:lol:

I was picky on some things and would only eat the veggies and not the meat

My mom cooked a lot back when we were little---now she can't cook at all! I listen to what she THROWS together and wonder how in the world my dad could eat that!

My family were hunters(not me) and farmers so we had a lot of

squirrel

rabbit

LOTS of deer--sausage, roast, butterfly steaks, ground meat

quail--I didn't eat

turtle soup--I didn't eat the meat

catfish stew---I didn't eat the meat

Sometimes oyster stew--I Never ate

vegetable beef soup--made with deer meat and ketchup--NEVER will make it like that here!

Chicken-n-dumplings

Chicken-n-rice

Fried chicken

Grilled Chicken

Fish if we caught them

One time she tricked us and cooked Raccoon!!!

Goat

Neck bone and noodles

Goulash---don't know what was in that

Spaghetti

When we had a pig to take to the market

Ham

Pork Chops

Bacon

Sausage

Always had a hot breakfast--waffles, grits and eggs(I didn't eat), oatmeal, pancakes..normally these were fixed with bacon or sausage

Edited by Gamom3

We only ate chicken growing up. And we only ate it grilled or occasionally baked. During the summer months, we only ate meat 2 or 3 nights a week. We would eat pork maybe once a month. We had some sort of salad as dinner at least 2 nights a week. And we never had pasta- ever. (That was the one thing I LOVED once I moved out!)

I don't remember a schedule. My mother prepared a variety of foods and was/is a good cook. One of my favorite foods of childhood was her vegetable stew with potatoes and green beans. I still can't get my stews as rich. My dad preferred the comfort food of his childhood, which was vastly different from my mother's, as they both came from different backgrounds. My father's favorite 'meal' is one of the most disgusting things imaginable: hot dogs butterflied down the middle, stuffed with mashed potatoes, with *mustard* slathered on top of the mashed potatoes, and then broiled in the oven. I can't think of it without gagging.

My poor mother made this for him...and sadly, also for us. None the kids will touch it today. lol

Edited by LibraryLover