Menu

My guinea pig is pregnant

Okay, so we have two girl guinea pigs (so we thought - that's what the pet store told us, anyway). We bought the second one several months ago to keep the first "girl" company.

Well, the newer one has been getting FAT. Like, extremely wide to the point I started questioning whether she could be pregnant. Upon close examination of the first one's genitalia and looking at pictures online, I've concluded that "Ginger" is most definitely a male and our female is most definitely pregnant. She is so huge I think it could be anytime now.

Does anyone have any advice? We will be calling the vet tomorrow and reading as much as we can to prepare. Also, can you neuter a guinea pig? We love these two together, they are best buddies, but definitely do not want to breed them again.

Thanks!

Lisa

Apparently, most dog and cat vets cannot neuter them, but they can be neutered! As far as whether or not she's pregnant, is she drinking lots of water and getting a pear shaped belly, but be warned, if you can see this (according to my online sources) then she's probably nearing her time. These people seem to think they know everything about "piggies" if you wanted yet another site to try ;)

This happened to my BF's family. They bought 2 Female sister guinea pigs. One was already pregnant. They went back to the pet store and were told they could be neutered after however many weeks and didn't need to be separated until a certain time frame. Well,one of the baby boy pigs got his aunt pregnant, and she had more baby guinea pigs. everyone from the first litter and the mother of that litter were neutered at this point. Once the aunt pig gave birth, all the babies were separated by gender as soon as it was feasible (then they were neutered). I think they ended up with 7 pigs after all was said and done.

Apparently, most dog and cat vets cannot neuter them, but they can be neutered! As far as whether or not she's pregnant, is she drinking lots of water and getting a pear shaped belly, but be warned, if you can see this (according to my online sources) then she's probably nearing her time. These people seem to think they know everything about "piggies" if you wanted yet another site to try ;)

Hey, great info, thanks!! She definitely looks like the pregnant mamma in the pictures - even wider, actually! I see guinea pig babies in our near future . . . .

Blessings,

Lisa

We thought we had bought two female guinea pigs a few months ago. The very first time we put them down for 'floor time' there was some mighty suspicious behavior going on...and we were quite fearful that we had male & female. After close looking (Wow...it IS hard to figure out sometimes!!!), we discovered we have two male pigs. But for a few hours there we were quite worried we would be in your same shoes!

Good luck with it! I've read it's kind of a dangerous thing for the mama pig, sometimes they don't make it...I hope all goes well for you! And that you can find homes for the new babies...

Plug your ears so my screaming won't deafen you.

:cursing::cursing: __________________________!

And this is one of the many reasons why I say don't buy from pet stores, don't buy from pet stores, don't buy from pet stores..... Happens ALL too often.

Yes, they can be fixed. It's much easier to neuter a male than spay a female btw so I'd probably go that route.

I foster rats & the rescue will frequently spay/neuter them. The girls get emergency spay/aborts if they come into rescue possibly pregnant. (yes, tough decisions need to be made when irresponsible people let animals breed and then dump them.) Males get neutered if they're being jerks, fighting, cage guarding etc. Oh, what a difference it makes ;)

I've also had tumors removed from my female dwarf hamster - good vets can and will do surgery on even very little animals. If there's an SPCA or a small animal rescue, I'd call them & ask who they recommend to do a gp neuter. I know the rescue I foster for only trusts a couple vets in the entire greater Vancouver region to do our animals.

Pet store was going out of business, we took the last two pigs, male and female. When I lifted her out of the box at home (PUDGY), then him (scrawny), I saw trouble ahead.

She had FOUR, three males, one of the males was a twin to the female.

When they are born, how cute! They were ready to run, and squeak and jump! It was on a Mother's Day that they were born.

I called a vet to see if they spayed or neutered piogs and was surprised to find out they do. We didn't have it done, we just kept the males away from the females.

It was fun for a few weeks...:001_rolleyes:

Ah! We had this happen to us. DD kept saying Miss Guinea was getting fat and I didn't listen. So, one night, we hear squeaks and find 3 baby guineas.

Haven't read all the replies, but here goes:

1. you can get them neutered. As a pp said, a lot of vets won't do it because you are dealing with very small animals so the surgery is more delicate. We had ours neutered at an exotic vet for about $100.

2. guinea pigs are extremely prolific. and can get pregnant within hours of giving birth. Get a separate cage for a week or so after the surgery.

3. GPs are born fully formed, furred and functional. They are very cute!

DD, 19 of Laughing Lioness

Guinea Pigs were a family favorite when it was my older sister, younger brother and I (missing my, now, 7 and 10 y.o siblings). This happened to us, a few different times. We were told they were "all girls" the first time. The second time we knew two were males and one was female.

If you don't want to spend the chunk 'a change on neutering, you just need to keep them away from each other 100% of the time. Never, never, never let them be together!

Because we didn't know the female guinea pig was soon to become "Mommy guinea pig," we never took her to the vet. Rather, my mother was (not exactily happily) greated with quite, nurturing sqeaks from a new mother and her four piglets... It was a fun experience, but I believe it was unanymous that it would have been better for such experiences not be surprises. Just basic care. They're babies, and cute, and a lot o' fun. But high maintance (keeping the cage especialy clean, making sute mama is getting her vitamins, greens, minerals, protein, etc.) and also keeping an eye on any runts. Ours died, or more appropriatles, "dissapeared, one day. It was in the cage, relatively healthy, one day, and totally gone the next. Warning: when one of the mother guinea pigs babies dies, she will bury it in the bedding.

It's a fun experience, and I would do it all over again (my mother does not agree ;)

This could be a fun time to make a beautiful-feet type note-book/ binder with the kids. Do a study on guinea pigs in utero, maybe? :001_cool:Opportunities are nedless!

Congratulations! :thumbup: