Menu

How do I get the musty smell out of books?

Cat litter in the bottom of a brown paper bag will work for a few books. If you have areas that are prone to damp, I would invest in a product that hardware stores sell, Damp Rid. It is a calcium product, I believe, that absorbs water. You can dry it out in an oven and reuse it. Great for closets that get musty or near book shelves that are not always in a high traffic zone.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to add something to this. (WAY past time). I bought an old used book recently that really smelled musty. We have a child with allergies so this is a no no. After trying several things I set it, with pages fanned out, in front of the air purifyer. Worked great!

My dh, a publisher and book collector, recommends that for a single volume the following procedure will get rid of a moldy odor, or mold itself, in a book: wrap the book tightly in a plastic bag and place it in the freezer for two to three months. The extreme cold will kill the spores that cause both the moldy smell and the mold itself. It will not, of course, remove any stains or discoloration caused by mold. Very valuable books should be professionally treated.