Menu

Calvert spelling CDs-can someone explain them in more detail?

HappyGrace

I don't sit in on my kids' lessons so this is what I gleaned from their initial use. The CDs have a list of ten words. Each word is pronounced orally, used in a sentence and pronounced again. The child types in each spelling. After completing the list, the computer will mark those that are incorrect. The child then completes games using the incorrect words and then re-tests the misspelled words before the lesson is complete.

I actually don't know whether any misspelled words will reappear on later lists. Like I said, for my three dc that are using it, I've given spelling over to Calvert. I have a younger dc that needs my ever-present spelling attention. :blink:

Also, I found Calvert very helpful. You might try calling them with any further questions if you don't get more help when this bumps.

HTH,

Lisa

ETA: My dc use the older versions because they liked them better after comparing the new and old. I sold or sent back the new versions, which have a couple of up-grades.

We have the newest version. I believe there are 14 spelling words per lesson. The child takes a pretest at the beginning of each lesson and corrects any misspelled words. Then there is a mini-lesson. There are several screens which the computer reads or the student can read about the topic of the lesson. Ai words, three letter blends, etc. whatever the focus of the lesson may be. Then there are two games. They include all of the words from the lesson but I believe the missed words from the pretest appear more frequently. The games can be played over again, as the child chooses. Then comes the final test. Any words missed on the final test are reviewed after the test and reappear in all reviews at the end of each lesson. If the child gets all of the words in the pretest correct the games include harder words that follow the same focus of the lesson, but the final test will include the original fourteen words. There are built in review lessons as well. Each lesson is expected to take one week. At the end of each lesson is also an optional writing lesson using the spelling words from the lesson. It is a good introduction to word-processing as it has clip art pictures, spell check, colored text options, etc and looks very similar to Word or any other word processing software. Multiple children can use the software at the same time. Each child logs in under his or her name and the computer continues to track the individual child's progress.

If you have other questions just let me know!

Well, my dc *do* use them. Don't know why I wrote *I* don't use them. That's what comes from talking to my son and typing an answer at the same time. And now I can't figure out how to edit it!

Lisa

::sigh:: If I had signed in first, I see that I could have edited. Slinking off for bed. . .