Menu

Time Traveler's CDs

mom2jjka

They can be used as a full program for the time period they cover. Each CD contains written lessons to be read, a notebook timeline, and lots of hands on activities. We have used the Civil War and 19th Century this year as part of our Moderns study and in the past have used all of the others.

The suggested grades for the material are 3-8. I use them with a 2nd, 3rd and 6th grader. I assign the 6th grader more complicated things such as outlining the written lesson and writing newspaper articles, and more crafty things for the littlest.

The CD includes a lesson plan which you can use as is or assign only the things you wish. The lesson plans as written contain 25 lessons which they say is 5-10 weeks of material - I have found it to be closer to the high end and we do history at least 3 days a week. We have enjoyed all of these materials as part of our history studies. I am wishing there was a WW2 CD!

Edited by Beach Mom
Correction

WE used the Colonial unit this year and are working our way through the Revolutionary War one right now. Yes, they can be used as a full curricula, but I recommend adding in some of the suggested books. We have added in A LOT (using the library, not purchasing) and I feel we have gotten more out of it than if we were to have just read the text portions that are provided.

We are also taking our sweet time getting through them. They are set up so that you *could* finish the unit in 5 weeks if you do a lesson every day. We took roughly 20 weeks on the colonial unit because I added in a separate study on the individual colonies and some of the prominent individuals. The CD mainly covers colonial life (which is really a great study), but we really needed more of a foundation of the colonies themselves.

We'll use the rest of the school year on the Revolutionary War.

I have begun planning for the Early 19th Century and will probably take most of the year doing that with all that I plan to add in.

So...all that being said...yes, it can be a full curriculum, but I mainly use it as a guide and add in my own resources. The projects in the CD are AWESOME and we have really enjoyed doing them. :001_smile: