Menu

Can someone compare Lial's math with Saxon?

I've already heard from Jann. She seems to think Saxon misses some steps in explaining (which I've heard from other sources) and Lial's is more complete. On places like Amazon, I see Lial's fewer stars.

DD loves science, but math has been a struggle. Right now I think it is confidence and carelessness. And some arrogance (she hates being wrong and can be a pill during explanations).

She likes to work independently. A program with a solutions manual would be preferred.

(she hates being wrong and can be a pill during explanations).

She likes to work independently.

Lial's has been the best for her. We tried both Saxon and Life of Fred for algebra, with disastrous results. The layout, explanations, and amount of practice seem to be just right for her. She mainly does the lessons herself, and calls me when she has questions (which is most days). But she could not do either Saxon or LOF on her own at all, and wasn't learning. Now she's maintaining an average in the low 90s.

Good luck. :)

Right now I think it is confidence and carelessness. And some arrogance (she hates being wrong and can be a pill during explanations).

She likes to work independently.

Is my dd living at your house? :tongue_smilie:

We've just made the decision to switch to Lial's BCM for her after we finish Singapore 6b. She says she likes it more than Fred, which I'd been leaning toward before since she did well in the first two books. We'll see how it actually goes in a few months!

Saxon would give her fits.