Menu

I doubted my curriculum, scheduling, parenting, etc! ug!

Kathie in VA

I've had such the hard time with my 13 year old dd lately. We can never get much classwork done. I can't seem to get her to bed on time and really can't get her up on time. This started back in Feb. I thought maybe she was sick (Mono?) but there was no fever or swollen glands etc. Everyone kept telling me how teenagers need more sleep, how they tend to need to sleep in and work later. Then in March everyone here got sick, most with the Flu. So when I took her to the doc for that, I asked about the sleepiness. Doc decided to order a blood test to check for anemia(sp?), thyroid, etc. I asked about Mono but again it seemed doubtful without all the other symptoms; but doc added that to the tests anyway. Well the tests are in. Wouldn't ya know it, she had Mono! [We have no idea how or where she got this either!]

Here I was 2nd guessing all my homeschooling choices on curriculum, scheduling, etc. and I was right from the beginning!

ug.

Now to find the line between the tail end of Mono and the bad habit of sleeping in and starting late!

Well, it's good to know she has something curable! I don't like to go to bed on time, and I don't like to get up early either...maybe I have mono too, but probably not. I figure I'll fit in well when my boys hit their teenage years. I'm sure you are relieved you won't have to make any changes now. This is a good reminder for me to listen to my motherly instincts more.

Sorry you are going through this, teens can be difficult enough without adding mono. I would give her a list of assignments for the day. I would make many of them quiet assignments. ie reading, completing questions, writing papers etc. I find my teen works better when he know what to expect of his day. He likes the control of conpleting the assignment and then checking it off. We only interface daily for history and literary discussions, and his other subjects on a per need basis. I do monitor his science labs. He is really learning to work independently.

Many times over the years, I've gone through a really bad patch with one kid or the other, when they were just horrible and I began to worry that we were going into a terrible phase or that I needed to re-think some pretty basic stuff . . . only to have the child in question come down with a fever or something really icky. And once they recovered, they were back to their old (only mildly difficult) selves again.

It's happened often enough that I now think of illness as a possibility before I get crazy worrying about big, underlying issues.

As someone else said, just be thankful you're dealing with something curable!

--Jenny