Menu

CLE2 or R&S2 if math facts are not yet memorized??

diaperjoys

I had planned to do CLE2 as our spine next year, with MM as a supplement. Now I'm wondering if CLE would move too fast for him. Maybe we should do R&S as our spine instead? I was trying to pair a spiral program with MM, but maybe the drill of R&S is more important at this stage.

Opinions, please?? What would you pick in this situation? My son really "gets" MM explanations, but math is a weak subject, and we're opting to go with 2 programs - spine (to be used on a regular school schedule) + supplement (which will be gently used year round).

We switched from CLE 1 (LU 108) to R&S 1 (Lesson 80) because my son was really not "getting" the facts. We did drills every.single.day and CLE still just went to fast with the facts. My son did fine with the other things - he even had the addition down (not so much the facts, but he could do the problems by tapping his pencil and adding as he tapped and such)...he just didn't have the fact down. We switched to R&S about 2 months ago and he is really starting to get the facts down now. We LOVE it. :) It is just what he needed.

if you do all the drill work that CLE includes, your child should have no trouble mastering the facts.

:iagree:I so agree with this. I have put my two in CLE one level below their grade, neither were strong in there facts but in just over a month they are flying. We do everything except the flash cards as my ds simply will. not. do. flash. cards. at. all...... He is still going along great. We love CLE.

We did use R&S at the beginning of this fall but we did NOT love it.