Menu

Narration vs. a formal/structured reading program

Greta

I would really love to hear people's thoughts on using narration as the (only) way of nurturing reading comprehension, versus a formal reading program with discussion questions, vocabulary, teaching literary terms and themes, etc.

I've been using simple narration with my dd since Kindergarten. I am happy with the results so far, but entering 5th grade next year, I wonder if she needs something a bit more . . . well, more. :) Reading is not her strong point, so I wonder if she needs a more structured approach than what I am doing, and more explicit teaching. On the other hand, would that crush her interest?

If anyone has any experience to share with regards to formal reading programs and how that worked out with a reluctant reader, I would like to hear it.

Or, just more generally, whether or not you think formal reading programs are a good idea. Which one(s) have you liked or disliked?

Thanks!

I think that reading programs often involve passive thinking- fill in the blank, etc. Narration requires active thinking- they have to really listen as you read and think about it.

My son had/has some auditory processing issues, I bought Lindamood Bell's Visualizing and Verbalizing and then felt overwhelmed and didn't use it. But he has really surprised me with his huge leaps in comprehension this year- he is 9, maybe some of it's develomental, but I really feel that narration and dication have strenghtened his comprehension skills significantly. I am amazed at the dictations he can take now without repeating, after struggling at the beginning of this school year. For him, the repetition of WWE really helped, as well as all of the narration we do as a part of history and science.

I do understand about explicit instruction helping some kids- I switched that same son to a workbook program for grammar this year and that has been great for him.

For something like reading, my inclination is that formal reading programs do take the fun out of it and establish reading as a school subject instead of a lifelong habit.

But only you know what you feel your dd needs to work on and which method may work best for her, no one thing works for everyone.

My kids struggled with comprehension because of LDs, making just the physical act of reading arduous. I think most reading programs suck any joy right out of reading! But what doesn't is having book discussions! So what I did with my kids starting at about 6th grade (but you can certainly start younger) is picking out a few interesting books (let your dd have input) sprinkled throughout the year and then use a study guide as a reference for your 'book club' discussions. You each get a copy of the book chosen and read them separately and then come together to discuss.

Two of the books I remember doing with my oldest two were The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Fahrenheit 451. I got the study guide for the first book here The guide for the 2nd book was from Veritas Press, I believe.

After that we watched Teaching the Classics which teaches you how to read and analyze literature so you can do it on your own. I'd say that's better for 7th grade and up.

If your child is a weak reader to begin with, you don't want to burden her with busy work. You want her love for reading to grow. So I'd advise doing a book club approach (where you can tease out a focus on detail and structure and comprehension) in a fun, supportive way. Don't be a slave to the study guides, just use them to give your discussion direction.

Occasionally requiring a book report isn't too bad either, but I'd go light (two a year?).

Anyway, that's my humble two cents!

I had a busy couple of days, so I apologize for not responding sooner. I want to thank you all for these ideas and suggestions. This has been hugely helpful, and I'm looking forward to checking out the books and mp3s that were mentioned. I also *love* the idea of a book discussion club! I think she would really enjoy that, especially if we could recruit Dad to join us. We could make it a weekly family event, complete with a special dinner or snacks or something. That would be so much fun! Thank you, Faithr, for the idea, and thank you ALL for the encouragement and help! I'm feeling better about this already.