Menu

Singapore Science 3rd-6th

Melissa B

I just purchased the Singapore Science 5/6 books for dd10 to use next fall. For those that have used them, did you find this to be enough science for two years? Were you able to transition into middle school material easily? (I do not want to use the Singapore 7th/8th grade books.) Did you feel a need to supplement and if so with what?

I'm really hoping to hear that many people have used this curriculum with success and without supplements. I do have the text books, activity books, homework book and critical thinking book - HOTS.

Thanks!

I am currently using the MPH 3/4 series. I think the series works out well for 2 years if you are only doing it 2-3 x a week. When I first looked at the books, I was a bit taken aback by their simplicity and sparse text relative to other textbooks. However, after having used them for a little while, I am starting to appreciate their approach.

I really think the authors are looking for mastery of a limited number of topics and then to build on that mastery each year with the new material. They also do a great job emphasizing analytical skills like graphing and charts. That way after a few years, the student has a very solid foundation in the subject matter rather than some sketchy memories from the many topics that might be covered in a more comprehensive, wordy program.

We do Science 4-5 x a week, so we will complete the 2 year series in one year. We finish about one chapter per week by doing the reading one day, followed the next day by the activity book, then the homework book. I usually use the HOTS one week behind for further review to improve retention. I also use the Tests book. This may be overkill but does help with retention.

I am also supplementing with the Science daybooks and a few small unit studies.