Menu

How do you deal with multiply children needing to read the same book at the same time

Mom to 3+1

I am starting to think about next year TOG 2, and will have 3 3rd graders in upper Grammar books. This year they were lower grammar, so we read them all aloud - no problem. Next year, I want them to do more independant reading, we will still read some aloud because I will also have a 1st grader, but short of getting 3 of each book, I am not sure how to do this. I am particularly thinking about the SAP books. Thanks for your thoughts!

I have 3 children on the same level of history. They all need to read the same books. I have actually selected a few of the books and bought 3 copies.

If you have time, you may be able to pick some up at library sales, or used book stores.

In the beginning, I tried scheduling the book. DD would get the book first to read the 2 chapters, then DS would get the book next to read the chapters, and last but not least, the other DS would get his turn. If DD decided to finish her copywork before reading, or DS was slow, you can just imagine what I went through.

Things are much smootherwith three copies of some of the books. There are still times that I only buy one and they just have to share. If you learn of another way around this, let me know!!!

Mary

I don't schedule daily reading amounts for these books. I simply hand the book to my oldest (faster reader) and let her read at her own pace (always faster than that suggested by schedules) and when she's done, I hand it over to her younger brother. To me, as long as they read them in order and don't get too far ahead, I'm happy.

But I'm pretty sure when they were little we got through a few years of Sonlight with one copy of each book. The kids read in their own time and we used different colored post it notes as bookmarks for each of them. I think when mine were the age of yours, one did math with me, one was on a computer program and the third read. Then we rotated.