Menu

Cracked dvds...

I traded dvds with someone here, a very nice mama, and the dvd I received has cracks in the plastic on the inner circle. I know it happens from removing and replacing them in the cases, if you don't baby it JUST SO, it puts stress on the plastic and creates fractures. I am always super gentle with mine, so I have never had cracking on my own dvds or cds. I don't let the kids handle them.

I haven't yet emailed the person I traded with, because I am not sure what I think and what I want to do.

I assume it plays fine as there are no scratches, but I intend to sell it when I am done, and I am uncomfortable with the cracks. My question is, do you guys have this problem? Does it eventually break? I am sure I am not the only one who has cracked dvds, I just wonder how problematic it becomes...I feel paranoid about using it, afraid it will break!

Edited by lovetobehome

I've actually never seen that, so I can't tell you whether or not it will become a problem in the future. I've never once had a DVD break just from ordinary use, however, and if the DVD plays fine, I wouldn't try to get a refund. Honestly, it's not really the seller's responsibility to ensure that the DVD is going to last through you owning it and selling it later on, unless she advertised them as being "like new." Then I'd be a little peeved.

I would make a copy for my personal use, and when I wanted to sell it... I'd explain and send both cds....

Really... if you wanna cheat... you can figure out how.. but I figure that by sending both cds you are looking honest. Also, some companies have a $5 or so replacement charge for broken cds... you may want to check there, too.

:-)

Well, I did ask her if there were any scratches and she assured me there weren't. I am picky about cds/dvds. But I didn't think to ask about cracks! I am pretty sure she will work with me on it, I am not upset. I just don't LIKE having cracks and damage. I think I will ask her to trade back...though I don't want her to feel bad.

Well, I did ask her if there were any scratches and she assured me there weren't. I am picky about cds/dvds. But I didn't think to ask about cracks! I am pretty sure she will work with me on it, I am not upset. I just don't LIKE having cracks and damage. I think I will ask her to trade back...though I don't want her to feel bad.

I wouldn't automatically assume it was cracked when she sent it to you. It may have had a hairline crack, unnoticeable to her naked eye in her warm, cozy home. Out in the real world, it was exposed to extreme temperature changes that, alone, could have cause tiny cracks to spread. Couple that with handling by postal workers and machinery, and it's not surprising that tiny defects would spread into cracks.

Well, it can't be copied...and this is like an $55 dvd when new. We traded levels. So, it is a bigger investment here. If it was $10, I wouldn't really care.

She packed it really well, in a large box...secure and undamaged. The cracking (in 3 places) is from stress from popping it in and out instead of carefully pushing the little button to release it.

Anyway, I emailed her asking to trade back. Because I don't want to even use it myself, I am afraid the crack will cause it to BREAK and then it won't work at all.

Edited by lovetobehome