Menu

Rod and Staff Math 8

Just Another Jen

Would you consider this a good pre-algebra course?

My 8th graders strong subject is not math. He's been working through LOF fractions and decimals this year along with a lot of reinforcement problems from saxon 7/6. I'm not sure what to do with him when we are done. He really likes LOF, but I'm not sure if we'll continue with it into high school.

I'm thinking of using rod and staff 8 and labeling it pre-algebra. He hates plain saxon with its bite size pieces. I think r&s is a mastery approach and that may work better until he's ready for algebra. Any suggestions?

Would you consider this a good pre-algebra course?

My 8th graders strong subject is not math. He's been working through LOF fractions and decimals this year along with a lot of reinforcement problems from saxon 7/6. I'm not sure what to do with him when we are done. He really likes LOF, but I'm not sure if we'll continue with it into high school.

I'm thinking of using rod and staff 8 and labeling it pre-algebra. He hates plain saxon with its bite size pieces. I think r&s is a mastery approach and that may work better until he's ready for algebra. Any suggestions?

I agree with your reasoning. And that's what we are doing. I think Rod and Staff is fabulous as far as explaining things and giving constant review. I like that it is mastery, but what is best about Rod and Staff IMO is the constant review. It just keeps going over things again and again, and that helps, especially if you have a kid who is not the strongest in math. I love this math. My daughter has really solidified her basics with it. We used it when we started homeschooling, switched to Singapore--which was really great for other reasons, and now before Algebra, I wanted to make sure she got a final review of the basics. I think Rod and Staff will do this. You might find others who say no because it does not have a ton of Algebra stuff in it, isn't as advanced as some other programs, but I know there are others on here who have used it as Pre-Algebra and done fine. Remember, too, that the current Rod and Staff 8 is a new edition. The old one was not as good as the current IMO. IMO being able to handle Algebra isn't so much a matter of having been exposed to it at earlier and earlier ages but rather of being ready developmentally to understand it. I've looked at Jacobs Algebra quite closely and I know my dd could handle it now. One thing I have heard is that your kids should be solid on fractions, percents, and decimals before starting Algebra. I'm fairly sure Rod and Staff will accomplish that and more.

Just my thoughts.

One thing I have heard is that your kids should be solid on fractions, percents, and decimals before starting Algebra. I'm fairly sure Rod and Staff will accomplish that and more.

Just my thoughts.

That was exactly what I was thinking. My oldest was in school and never really was taught fractions- then when we got to algebra I had to teach him that first. It was a struggle.

That was exactly what I was thinking. My oldest was in school and never really was taught fractions- then when we got to algebra I had to teach him that first. It was a struggle.

Yes!

My older DS struggles in Algebra (is repeating Algebra with Saxon after using Jacob's last year and BJU Pre-Algebra the year before). My younger DS is using R&S and even though some of the work isn't labeled "pre-Algebra", it definitely is. I noticed this last year; the thought processes that R&S teaches are vital to working Algebra problems. The advantage is R&S moves very slowly from concrete thinking to abstract, giving the child the time to reason out the why's of Math for himself. It will come when his brain is ready for it.

Having said that, I *may* put my 6th grader into Saxon next year, because LOF & Chalkdust were both *huge* disappoinments at our house. Just not nearly enough repetitions or review for my Ds to retain anything. He'd be fine on the daily work, but bomb the tests. IMO, they are really good for kids who excel at Math, who understand the concepts and how to apply them immediately - and so don't need to practice it. So...since Saxon does provide the constant review we seem to need (and since Art Reed is such a *great* teacher!), and it will get us through high school, I may go ahead with it next year, even though I think R&S has laid a very strong foundation.

Sorry - not very conclusive! But, I'd choose R&S over LOF for a child who isn't gifted at math.

Edited by Rhondabee

Yes!

He'd be fine on the daily work, but bomb the tests. IMO, they are really good for kids who excel at Math, who understand the concepts and how to apply them immediately - and so don't need to practice it.

Exactly- He loves reading LOF- and says its the first math book he likes- but he's not excelling.

Thanks for your 2 cents!