Menu

Science - Creation + Evolution??

I've been looking recently at what we've been doing and what we're doing for the rest of the year, with an eye on where we need to be for next year.

I know we'll be using OPGTR (and in fact will be starting this week), BOB Books, Singapore 1A, Zaner Bloser handwriting, and I'll be putting together most of our other subjects.

I'm at a loss for science. I'm NOT scientifically inclined AT ALL. I do fine with it when given work to do (manage A's in college science courses), but I just don't know enough to figure it out for myself. I'd LIKE to find a boxed curriculum, since I'll be putting together many of our other subjects on my own, but I'm doubtful I'll find one that's what I want. I believe in a mixture of creation and evolution. Is there anything out there even close to this?

If you teach both creation and evolution, how do you teach them?

Thank you for any suggestions.

I generally use secular stuff and talk about how it was divinely created, how amazing it is that God set our planet in this precise orbit where the weather is perfect for our species, etc. What I have now is NOEO and I believe it's a Christian company but they say that anyone studying science will see God in it and so they don't add commentary on religion in their courses. (If I remember right.)

I generally use secular stuff and talk about how it was divinely created, how amazing it is that God set our planet in this precise orbit where the weather is perfect for our species, etc.

This is what I do too. And I was very pleased the other day when my son looked up from a science book in which he was absorbed and commented something along the lines of, "It really is amazing, Mom, how Heavenly Father organized every single little thing, even down to the gluons holding together the quarks inside the protons in the nucleus of an atom." I love that he is musing over these things on his own when given scientific information, and that he does not see science and religion as opposing forces.

We very much enjoyed the REAL Science Odyssey Life I program with the kids when they were younger. It has everything laid out really well for the Mom. It does not, however, address either evolution or creation, just talks about the way things are as they currently exist. We haven't tried any of their other programs, as ds was really too old after that year, and dd was going into Kindergarten at the local public school, but at ages 4 and 9 they both enjoyed it, and I learned some things right along with them.

P.S. My father, who is a respected scientist as well as a man of great faith, explained it this way once (more or less), and it has stuck with me. God created the universe and all things in it, and all the processes by which they work. God is in charge. He is all-powerful, and all-knowing. There is an objective reality, a way things really are, a "truth" of things. We only know little bits and pieces of it, but God comprehends it all. God chooses to communicate portions of this all-encompassing truth to man in many different ways. Some things he guides scientists to discover, a little at a time. Those things are for everyone to know. Some things God reveals to His prophets. Those things are for the people with enough faith to believe. Some things God communicates directly to our own hearts and minds, and those things are just for us, to help us in our personal areas of stewardship. But all of these things are from God, and they all reflect on the same encompassing truth, even when we do not completely understand exactly how all the pieces fit together.

Edited by MamaSheep