Menu

X-post: College recommendation letter--please proof and comment?

Harriet Vane

Hi folks--

I have agreed to write a college recommendation letter for a high school student in my weekly group literature class. Can you take a look at it for me? Thanks!

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to recommend [student's Name] for the Honors Program at [small Private University]. [student's Name] has been my student this year for Medieval Literature, a writing and literary analysis class examining selections from the Middle Ages and early Renaissance.

[student's Name] has been a model student. She is consistently prepared for class and is an avid, intelligent participant in discussion. [student's Name] has demonstrated a mature ability to read and analyze challenging literature selections. Her weekly writing assignments have been exceedingly well done; [student's Name] is clearly a strong writer.

In the course of the class, I have also had opportunity to observe [student's Name] spiritual maturity. As a part of the course, [student's Name] has been required to comment on spiritual issues as they arise in the assigned literature selections, and also to provide written comparisons of medieval theology to biblical text. Her analysis has been thorough, demonstrating a comfortable familiarity with the Bible as well as logic.

[student's Name] contribution to any academic program will be of the best quality. I have enjoyed getting to know her as my student and enthusiastically recommend her acceptance into [small Private College's] Honors Program.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,

I think it sounds good, just a couple of things to throw out...

-Is it for a college that will care about her spiritual maturity? If it is not an expressly Christian college, I'd find another way to communicate that point.

-Is there any observance you've made on her interactions with *other* students? Any group projects etc? I think it would be helpful if you could share anything about that.

I think it's a good letter. I really hate to be asked to write things like that! LOL!