Menu

Public school teaches children how to be "citizens" (apparently)

Have any of you seen this you tube video by a homeschooler?

Excellently done, in my view.

Very well done. I also watched the interview with the kid who made it. Very well-spoken young man! Looks like he learned about being a good citizen just fine at home!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that most people understood the meaning to begin with' date=' because they weren't trying to set themselves up as the language arbiters or looking for a way to be offended. Making a comparison between a real gulag and a metaphorical one is a perfectly legitimate way to make a point. I suspect that those who would get up in arms about it would not be the least bit receptive to her point anyway.[/quote']

You are completely mistaken. I agree wholeheartedly with many critics of what is termed progressivism in education. Charles Sykes' book on education was more of an epiphany to me than Gatto. I just abhor the metaphor used in this case particularly on a classical education board as one might presume that the subject noun, gulag, is part of the history progression that no classical educator would ignore. Finally it must be stated again that many families homeschool. Every race, creed, nationality, political view is likely represented under the moniker home educator. Needless to say off the cuff remarks that are made with no malicious intent whatsoever might indeed offend someone as home education is not the predominantly caucasian, protestant , conservative umbrella it once was. It is absolutely wonderful to see the unlimited range of families who are exploring this as a first option, not just a choice of last resort. Given that so many types of people and their families are under the big tent known as homeschooling is it too much to ask that people consider the thoughts of others before posting inflammatory or derisive langague? Apparently it is. As I have thought many. many times before ethnocentrism runs deep and is hard to budge.

Given that so many types of people and their families are under the big tent known as homeschooling is it too much to ask that people consider the thoughts of others before posting inflammatory or derisive langague? Apparently it is. As I have thought many. many times before ethnocentrism runs deep and is hard to budge.

You're accusing Regena of ethnocentrism? I.e. Racism?

That is really seriously extreme--quite a significant leap from her remark, and not fair at all.

And in a post that calls for the avoidance of inflammatory or derisive language, ironically inappropriate.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethnocentrism The second meaning here is the one I am using. If I ever meant to use the word racism I would simply have used it. I do believe I was included in the group of "perverse" people who have been on the board the last couple of years. Would that mean liberal or progressives speak out and no longer permit assumptions go unchallenged? I could insinuate many things from this but it would be very unfair to do so. Edited by elizabeth