Menu

Galloping the Globe-what ages??

smilesonly

I just LOVE the description of this geography curriculum! The publisher's site says it's for grades K-4th. Is that true? I am trying to find something else in the area of geography that both my 2nd grader and 7th grader could use. I know-huge gap-especially since my eldest is advanced.

If this doesn't work, is there anything else I can look into? We are waiting for MOH level 1.

TIA!!

Smiles

:001_smile:

I think you could do it. It's a really neat curriculum, imho. I would just extend it further for your oldest by having him/her research further, craft something more intricate, create an extremely detailed map, etc. Many curriculums can be adapted if you just push it that extra step within the boundaries and interests of your older child.

I can't imagine it working for a 7th grader, especially one who is advanced. It's been awhile, so maybe I'm forgetting parts of it, but from what I recall, most of the book suggestions were picture books or non-fiction books for young children. I remember there being a lot of Five In a Row books on the list. I used it with a 1st grader and Ker and we loved it because it was so simple- color the flag, make one project (usually something simple, like a Chinese latern out of construction paper), and then read a bunch of related picture books from the library. I think with a 7th grader, you'd end up doing a lot of work finding your own books for a middle school student, as well as adding in mapping and other things an older child should be doing with a geography program. You'd be basically writing your own program because there's not much in GtG for an older student.

Have you looked at Trail Guide to World Geography instead? It seems like it would be easier to use that with the 7th grader, and just add in some picture books for the 2nd grader.

I can't imagine it working for a 7th grader, especially one who is advanced. It's been awhile, so maybe I'm forgetting parts of it, but from what I recall, most of the book suggestions were picture books or non-fiction books for young children. I remember there being a lot of Five In a Row books on the list. I used it with a 1st grader and Ker and we loved it because it was so simple- color the flag, make one project (usually something simple, like a Chinese latern out of construction paper), and then read a bunch of related picture books from the library. I think with a 7th grader, you'd end up doing a lot of work finding your own books for a middle school student, as well as adding in mapping and other things an older child should be doing with a geography program. You'd be basically writing your own program because there's not much in GtG for an older student.

Have you looked at Trail Guide to World Geography instead? It seems like it would be easier to use that with the 7th grader, and just add in some picture books for the 2nd grader.

I completely forgot when I wrote my other post about the numerous picture books!!! For some reason I was thinking it had more advanced book lists too. I'm sorry... forget my earlier answer. I think I'm beginning to get curriculums mixed up in my head since I've been researching so much lately! I still think it's a neat program though.:) Good luck in your search!

I looked at that too, and I have the same age gap..7th and 2nd for next year. Soon-to-be 7th DS is advanced, I guess, in that EVERYTHING is easy for him whereas soon-to-be 2nd DS is not so advanced, in that NOTHING is easy for him.

From what I thought GTG would just not be enough for older DS, without me putting alot of extra work into it, and that's just not going to happen.

Instead I am going for Winterpromise Children Around the World. It has a older students guide, and then the younger students guide...can't wait to start this next fall!

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased GTG for my kids to begin next year. They will be K5 and 2nd...and I can say that it will NOT work for my oldest after next year. I've read through it and after looking at it....it's going to be PERFECT for my 2nd grader but def. will have to do something different for her grade 3 and up...The projects are very simple, the actitivies and the reading are all pretty simple. Neat program that I'm eager to start but not something I can use with my oldest much after next year. Thankfully I have my K'er whom will use it for 2 years most likely and my lil guy whom I'll be shelving the book for when he's in school :D So it's worth the money we paid here..but if there is anyway to get something for your younger and something for your older, I'd def. not combine that. It's VERY basic and SIMPLE imo.

However if your 2nd grader isn't up to level this would be perfect. AND it'd be neat to have your 7th grader sit in on the lessons too but see if you can't find something that can flow with it that is more suited for his grade level. That I can't help with though :(

I've been trying to use GTG with my 4th grader this year. We haven't been successful. I could never get the flow of it for some reason.

I belong to their yahoo group and the writers are developing units for children older than those intended for GTG. If I remember correctly, they will be digital units that can be purchased through Geo Matters. I don't remember how advanced they will be, but they might be something to look at for the older child.