Menu

Questions about sick dog behavior

Last night (about 3am) my 10 mo old lab mix woke me because she was shaking so badly the bed was vibrating. She would shake, then stop, then shake...it was like when people have the chills and the the chills rack your body and you tense, then relax, then tense again. Also, she was yawning a lot and panting. I got her up and walked around with her a bit. I took her outside and she pooped 2x, but it was foul smelling beyond belief. We came back inside and I called the er vet. She said just to watch her and call back if the symptoms persisted. My dog has a history of eating things; socks, string, plasic, cat poop...etc. I didn't catch her eating anything yesterday, but that really doesn't mean anything. I don't feel any distention in her belly. Anyway, I laid down with her a few hours later and she fell asleep, but then I woke to her having crawled up by my head and panting with really short breaths. At that time, ds got up, and she followed him around, and all her symptoms seemed to have disappeared.

So, it seems like when she is relaxed, she has these troubles. When she is alert and doing something, she seems happy and fine. She will run around, play, eat, drink, and be normal with no symptoms. She's not tired or lethargic. Ds did find a trail of cat litter this morning (someone moved the gate away from the laundry room where the litter box is kept :glare:) - naturally my dog is the culprit. I'm wondering if maybe the cat litter is toxic?? It is Tidy Cat scoopable litter.

So, I guess, what I'm asking is if anyone has ever had a dog with similar symptoms and if so, what was the problem? Tomorrow (or today if I notice her panting and shaking again) I will take her to the vet and have them xray her belly to see if something is stuck in there, but if there was, would she still be eating and pooping?

Thanks in advance for any input or sharing any similar experiences.

Dogs and cats (& wild animals) are very good at hiding pain and illness since it makes you target for predators.

So it makes sense that sympoms only show when the dog relaxes. I think you're describing pain. Pain often manifests itself as trembling like this & I'd expect to see short panting breaths.

Yawning is a common way dogs try to calm themselves and those around them.

Clumping cat litter can be fatal to dogs (& cats for that matter). The litter can expand and form a hard ball in the intestinal tract and cause a blockage.

That fact that she pooped is good - but the blockage might be higher up. It could be that she just evacuated the lower part of the bowel.

I'd watch the dog very carefully. If finances allowed, I'd probably pop in for an x-ray and bloodwork.

And then I'd consider changing the kitty litter to pine pellets or similar or being extremely vigilant about keeping the dog away from the litter (ie install the gate on spring hinges so it always pops closed automatically or put the litter behind a door & cut a cat flap in the door etc) I had a habitual litter cookie snacker here & it's a PITA but an intestine full of solid clay is not a good thing :-(

There are all kinds of "ok" litters, which we strive for... The wheatish ones.... are the ones we use. Wheat makes him sick... but the other ones are worse...

I'd give him a banana if it were me. That usually helps my pup if he's into something. It's gross... but for a while it seemed like paper towels were his best friend. I finally just gave him bananas after I found out... He'd go around the yard and kinda... try to go... but couldn't. Luckily... after doing the vet thing a few times.. I found that banana trick.

Not to say that I wouldn't go in for a vet visit... just for future reference.

Carrie

I'd give him a banana if it were me. That usually helps my pup if he's into something. It's gross... but for a while it seemed like paper towels were his best friend. I finally just gave him bananas after I found out... He'd go around the yard and kinda... try to go... but couldn't. Luckily... after doing the vet thing a few times.. I found that banana trick.

Why a banana? What does it do?

I'd watch the dog very carefully. If finances allowed, I'd probably pop in for an x-ray and bloodwork.

Thanks for the info - the pain last night was evident in her eyes, but not so much today so far. We will take her to the dog park today and let her run around - hopefully that will help to move things. Taking her to the vet today is not out of the question - I nearly took her at 4 this morning. But if she keeps pooping, eating and drinking, and she seems to be doing well today, we will take her in tomorrow for an xray. Either way, before tomorrow evening, we will see what she's got stashed in her gut.

The banana always helped to get everything in him... out. Remember that if something does come out... but not all the way... to NOT help "pull" it out... which is your first thought. You can/have to scissor it off.... and then let it continue by itself, the next time....

Thanks. Will give her some banana when she wakes up. She's snoozing on the couch now, but she's perfectly calm and no symptoms presently...(since about 630 am) so that's good.