Menu

Jim Nance is hosting Intro To Logic online class in Fall!

Beth in SW WA

• 3 weeks later...

Beth,

Below is the current information on this class. This will also be posted today in my forum.

Thank you for asking about this!

Jim

-----------------------------------------------------

Logos On-line Logic Tutorial – 2008-2009

Course description

Logos School is now offering an on-line Logic tutorial for the 2008-2009 school year. The instructor for this tutorial will be James B. Nance, the logic teacher at Logos School for the past 17 years, and the author of the popular logic textbooks and materials produced by Logos School Materials and Canon Press.

In the fall of 2008, students will work through Introductory Logic, 4th edition by James B. Nance and Douglas Wilson. Topics include 1) Terms and Definition, 2) Statements and their relationships, 3) Syllogisms and Validity, 4) Arguments in Normal English, and 5) Informal Fallacies.

In the spring of 2009, students will work through Intermediate Logic, 2nd edition by James B. Nance. Topics include 1) Propositional Logic and Truth Tables, 2) Formal Proof of Validity, 3) Introduction to Digital Logic, and 4) Truth Trees.

Tutorials will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 8:15 to 9:15 am PST. At each session – using interactive software – the instructor will preview the lesson to be learned, offering suggestions for how to best grasp the concepts, and cautioning the students about difficulties or common errors to avoid. The students will come to the next session having watched the lessons on DVD, and having completed and graded the assigned exercises (using the Logic Answer Keys). The instructor will spend the hour answering questions, discussing ways to think about the material, and working through additional exercises together. About every other week the student will take a test (using the Logic Test Manuals), to be graded at home before the next session. The tests will be discussed, with questions answered and errors corrected.

Syllabus

Introductory Logic – Fall 2008

August 1 Payment for first semester due.

August 19 Software test session (8:15 am)

August 26 First day of regular sessions

November 25, 27 Thanksgiving week – no sessions on these days

December 1 Payment for 2nd semester due.

December 2 Sessions resume

December 18 Final session

Intermediate Logic – Spring 2009

January 6 First day of regular sessions

March 17, 19 Spring break – no sessions on these days

March 24 Sessions resume

April 14, 16 Easter week break – no sessions on these days

April 21 Sessions resume

May 7 Final session

Course cost

Tuition costs are $400 for the year, payable in two $200 payments (due August 1 and December 1). A late fee of $25 will be assessed for payments received after this. Once the registration and payment have been received, we will send a CD in the mail which will contain the software to download for this course. Students will also need to purchase the Introductory Logic and Intermediate Logic textbooks, answer keys, test manuals, and DVDs, available through the Logos School Materials website.

Course registration

We will have a dedicated registration website. We will also put a note on the materials website directing people to the registration website. For now, simply contact Jim Nance by email, letting him know that you wish to register a student for this course, and giving the following information:

1. Student name

2. Parent name(s)

3. Student birth date

4. Student email address

5. Parent email address (if different from #4)

6. Street address

7. Phone number

8. Tell me how you heard about this course.

Other helpful information

The Logos School Logic website (http://logosschoollogiccurriculum.com/) is available for students to interact throughout the week, post questions on the forum, and read Mr. Nance’s logic blog. Students will need to register as members on this website.

Oh my gosh. That's so funny. You'd think I'd go the right way in converting times by my age! My apologies. No wonder it took my son so long to learn converting the different time standards back in third grade; he's genetically stunted. I even remember my mnemonic that worked for him; guess it didn't work for me.