Menu

Silicone Bakeware

I was investigating this for Christmas. What I found is that some is silicone "lined", meaning it is a thin coat of silicone over top of yucky stuff in the middle. You want the pure silicone in order to be safe (as far as we know anyhow, further studies may say otherwise I don't know) so this is how you can tell: take the silicone piece in your hand, and bend it back and forth, literally folding over a corner. If you see a white crack, then it's not pure silicone. If you don't see anything, then it's all good. :D

I've never tried the silicone stuff they sell in the stores. I have bought several Demarle pieces (DeMarle makes the silpat). They make all kinds of molds, muffin trays, mini-muffins trays, etc. and they are a cinch to clean. Everything I make in them just falls out and never leaves anything stuck. I just run soapy warm water over them, rinse and air dry. They are kind of pricey, but you can sometimes find them on ebay.

http://shop.demarleathome.com/

I had some round silicone cake pans and couldn't stand them. The biggest problem was the smell / flavor that came out when cooking... I decided not to pack them when we moved.

I've never used them but I feared that the would leave a funny taste on the food. And since I worry about plastic leaching, I'll worry about silicone leaching too. I also wonder about aluminum and Alzheimer's. So I am working on replacing everything with stoneware.