Menu

Another BJU Question

I am definitely considering BJU DVD's for high school science; however, we have used Rainbow Year 1 this year for 7th. I am afraid doing Rainbow Year 2 then jumping in to BJU in 9th will be a huge leap in rigor of the program. Should I consider BJU DVD's for 8th? If so, would it be too much of a jump to go from 7th Life Science to 9th Physical Science?

The reason I would consider that is we had Physics and Chemistry this year and some astronomy studies at the end of last year. She has not had any life science since early 6th grade.

What do any BJU DVD users think?

Amy,

I have used Rainbow Science and BJU science. My last child completed Rainbow year one in 6th grade, and is now taking BJU Life Science. That transition went very well. With an older ds, we completed both years of Rainbow before moving to BJU Physical Science. That worked well too.

My suggestion to you: use BJU Life Science for 8th grade, and then move into the BJU high school sequence. I wouldn't start with the 8th grade Space and Earth, as it is quite difficult (perhaps as hard as a high school class). It is a great class, but the material covered in Life Science is helpful as a preparation for biology in 10th grade, whereas the Space and Earth is not a foundation for a later class.

We use the DVDs for BJU sciences 7th grade and up.

Best wishes as you decide about science curriculum.

Susan

Thanks for all the input. Have any of you taught the 7th grade science w/out dvd's? If you have, how much prep did it require of you? Does anyone have experience with the DVD of dissections? Is it good enough to walk us through them? I haven't done any dissecting since 1985, so it's been awhile! The last one was a fetal pig.

I like science and will be teaching life science with my youngest as well. Right now I'm looking strongly at R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey for him.

Shari,

I would not suggest doing Space and Earth before Life Science. I thought that the level of difficulty really jumped in the 8th grade science. I think that it could be considered a high school level class if you complete all of the assignments.

It might work for your family, but I wouldn't suggest it for most 7th graders.

Susan

I agree with what others are saying. The Space and Earth Science is pretty tough. I have had two complete it and on doing it now. The first is sciencey and found it easy. My 2nd doesn't like science and struggled through the class. There is quite a bit of memorization, which is difficult for him. My third one doesn't really have an opinion to share. A co-op that we go to actually uses the matieral for a highschool class.

Cindy