Menu

Flying to LA with 3 kids - what should we do?

Hi - we have the opportunity to travel as a family to LA tomorrow. I've been looking online for some ideas and cannot do everything but would like to pick something very cool for all of us. We will have a couple of days all together and we have an 8, 6 and 4 year old. Any ideas? TIA:001_smile:

It really depends on where you are staying because LA is a big place. Here are some ideas:

Near downtown is the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. They have fast food there too so it would be easy to spend the day. USC is across the street.

East of LA is the Los Angeles Zoo. My kids love that zoo and you could spend a day there. It is okay to bring food with you into the zoo. Also the zoo is located in Griffith Park and there is an observatory near there too.

My my children were your kid's ages their favorite hang out was Kidspace Museum in Pasadena. The Descanso Gardens are also near there. It might be a drive though depending on where you are staying:

http://www.kidspacemuseum.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index

The beach is always a hit with children. The waves can get rough though so it is probably better to prep you kids that they will be staying in the sand. Bring cups and spoons so they can dig in the sand and a blanket to sit on. Hermosa, Mahattan and Santa Monica are all great beaches. Santa Monica might have a large homeless population this time of year. So just be ready to say "no" to the handout requests.

If you can find out where you are staying I might have some better suggestions.

Edited by Ferdie

things our dc loved at those ages:

our top 3:

a. disneyland

2. the aquarium of the pacific in longbeach

3. the huntington gardens and library (open gardens to run in, japanese garden to visit, art galleries to pop into and see only 1 or 2 (or however many your dc would like), a tea room to have an english tea in....

the skirball center has a noah's ark exhibit that the kids can play in. we went with a 4 year old, a 9 year old and an 11 year old, and they had a blast, all of them. i was quite skeptical going in, but there was lots of hands on stuff, and no preaching... it also has a great civil rights exhibit right now

the tar pits + art gallery (right next door)

the natural history museum

the getty center (we love art, so it was a good choice for us. there isn't a lot else there. there is a children's room...)

if you dont' have a zoo near you, the los angeles zoo has some fun things, and the dc love it. a visit to the snowcone booth is obligatory ; )

south of la is lego land and san diego, which opens up many more possibilities.

of course, you could always come see us ; )

have fun,

ann

Hi - we have the opportunity to travel as a family to LA tomorrow. I've been looking online for some ideas and cannot do everything but would like to pick something very cool for all of us. We will have a couple of days all together and we have an 8, 6 and 4 year old. Any ideas? TIA:001_smile:
LA, meaning Los Angeles? or Louisiana?

If you mean Los Angeles,

Besides the Disneyland, I second and third the recommendations for the La Brea Tar Pits Museum. And The Huntington Library&Gardens in nearby San Marino. The children's garden at the Huntington is fabulous! So is their English Tea Room--I highly recommend making reservations for their tea, if you can.

Have fun!