Menu

kids who don't test well?

any advice? Ds has suddenly developed testing issues. He knows the information, he studies in various ways and well, sits down and bombs and walks away feeling :crying::banghead::confused:

anyone help me with this? had a kid like this?

sometimes I think it is worry, but even when he isn't worried about the test this can happen. I feel terrible for him.

Hi Martha,

Both of my kids had issues with it. There are so many reasons why kids don't do well on tests. Sometimes, the test truly isn't a good measure of their knowledge. Sometimes they are not prepared. When I was in school, I froze and didn't handle the stress of it well. With both kids, I made sure they were well prepared, and we went over what they needed to know, easing them into testing as part of their education. Just last week, dd complained about her history tests (they are fact "crams"). She is writing a few essays instead, I used the objectives in the textbook teacher's edition for questions. Jury is out if we will keep doing this, but she seems to be learning the history better this way! Sometimes I do an oral test, or a discussion instead of a written test. Tests are an easy way for a teacher in a large class to see if the class knows what was taught. In a home situation, you may already know this without a test.

HTH