Menu

Can Mystery of History level 1 be used for 7th grade?

smilesonly

I am going *nuts* trying to piece together a "social studies" curriculum that will satisfy the state, meet dd's (gifted, history-hating...) needs, yet agree with our own liking of Bible meets world history approach. MOH seems like an awesome curriculum, yet I am wondering if it is appropriate for a gifted 13yo? FYI-though she is well rounded, her gifts fall more into math and science.

Thanks for any help or advice...

ETA-we just pulled dd back out of PS at her request, and plan to hs for the long haul.

I think you could use it as a base, or a spine, and then add age-appropriate literature for your daughter to read. You could get literature ideas from the Ancients section of The Well Trained Mind, the Simply Charlotte Mason site and Sonlight's Core 6 program (just to name a few ;) ) Some Sonlight users use MOH as a spine instead of SOTW.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/history-modules-overview/history-module-1/

http://www.sonlight.com/history-geography-6.html Click on the individual items tab.

http://www.sonlight.com/read-alouds-6.html

http://www.sonlight.com/readers-6.html

I like some of the research activities in MOH too, which would be good for a 7th grader as it would require her to dig deeper.

Just my thoughts.

I am going *nuts* trying to piece together a "social studies" curriculum that will satisfy the state, meet dd's (gifted, history-hating...) needs, yet agree with our own liking of Bible meets world history approach. MOH seems like an awesome curriculum, yet I am wondering if it is appropriate for a gifted 13yo? FYI-though she is well rounded, her gifts fall more into math and science.

Thanks for any help or advice...

ETA-we just pulled dd back out of PS at her request, and plan to hs for the long haul.

You will get mixed answers on this. It was intended to be a reader for 4th and up, but many people prefer a more detailed text for your dd's age by either adding more books too it, or choosing a different spine. Personally, if she has never covered Ancients, I think it would be fine alone. Though if you aren't comfortable with that you could combine it with SOTW or another text. There are tons of schedules in the MOH 1 Yahoo group files for adding material to it.

Heather

In my humble opinion, yes. When I think back of how much history I retained from middle school, much less high school, it's an emphatic YES! The author's writing style definitely makes it more interesting than some of the traditional textbooks I drudged through in my school years. I have found a love for history while teaching my own and one of the reasons is MOH.

My 12yo ds has learned a lot through her method. He does the suggested written summaries as well as the mapping. He's about half-way through the second book and although history is not his favorite subject, he's enjoying MOH. I also like how it is one source (as opposed to juggling several books) and is written chronologically. It's very orderly and concise, yet doesn't lack for extras if you want to dig deeper.

As Linda and Heather suggested, flesh it out with additional literature or other resources if you like. However, I think it's meaty enough, especially if your dd is not a big history fan.

My 5th and 6th graders are doing MOH 1. I think it could be good through high school as long as you do the research suggested and have her reading additional outside books. There is a list of suggestions in the back of the MOH book. You could also do 2 volumes in one year by having her read an entire chapter (3 lessons) each day and do one of the suggestions for upper level.

OMGsh, Angela! I absolutely agree with you! It is shocking how watered down "social studies" has been for dd in PS. The constant skipping around, random mention of a person or event and then moving on is truly sad and angering.

I'm glad you wrote what you did-just so spot on.;)

In my humble opinion, yes. When I think back of how much history I retained from middle school, much less high school, it's an emphatic YES! The author's writing style definitely makes it more interesting than some of the traditional textbooks I drudged through in my school years. I have found a love for history while teaching my own and one of the reasons is MOH.

My 12yo ds has learned a lot through her method. He does the suggested written summaries as well as the mapping. He's about half-way through the second book and although history is not his favorite subject, he's enjoying MOH. I also like how it is one source (as opposed to juggling several books) and is written chronologically. It's very orderly and concise, yet doesn't lack for extras if you want to dig deeper.

As Linda and Heather suggested, flesh it out with additional literature or other resources if you like. However, I think it's meaty enough, especially if your dd is not a big history fan.

You know what I'd do? I'd do MOH 1 and then have her read the following independently along side (one at a time - just pick up the next one when you are done with one) Maybe have her write narrations for her readings.

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

Story of the Greeks (Guerber)

Story of the Romans (Guerber)

I think that would make more than a sufficient history for her.

Heather

Thanks, Heather. This,too, is a good idea!

You know what I'd do? I'd do MOH 1 and then have her read the following independently along side (one at a time - just pick up the next one when you are done with one) Maybe have her write narrations for her readings.

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

Story of the Greeks (Guerber)

Story of the Romans (Guerber)

I think that would make more than a sufficient history for her.

Heather

OMGsh, Angela! I absolutely agree with you! It is shocking how watered down "social studies" has been for dd in PS. The constant skipping around, random mention of a person or event and then moving on is truly sad and angering.

I'm glad you wrote what you did-just so spot on.;)

YVW. :) I hope your dd will find some joy in history with MOH.

Edited by angela&4boys