Menu

Bad reaction after the dentist

My 4 yo is wheat/dairy free and follwing the feingold plan. Yesterday we went to the dentist to have a cavity filled. He ended up being awake almost all night, has a very bad rash on his bottom, and is generally out of sorts today. Do you think it was the novacaine? Has anyone had anything similar happen. His physical reactions are in line with those he has from artificials, wheat and dairy. Is there an alternative that I could ask for next time?

Or should I ask for them to finish him in a marathon appt to minimize his exposure?

I would callthe dentist and talk to them. It needs to be on your child's records that a bad reaction happened. Some of it may have been related to stress. My son will break out in a rash when he is stressed and be out of sorts a day or 2 later as well. However, I would also wonder about the latex usage in the office. The dentist may have seen this happen before and have ideas or ask peers about it.

I am going to call them on Monday. I am a little worried that it might be something in the temporary filling that they put in. He's been acting wild and scrazy since Thursday. I've been careful to make sure that he hasn't had any trigger food. This kid is like the canary in the well- anything artificial(chemical) sets him off. I'm more than a little nervous about how much I'll have to step up his sensory diet after this next visit...

I spent 15 yrs. in the dental field. If it was an allergy to latex you would see skin reaction around the field where the latex came in contact with skin.

::delurking::

This is only a dermatological reaction.

You can also have other kinds of reactions, systemic for example.

So a rash on his bottom and behavioral changes can be a latex reaction.

To the OP:

I doubt it though.

We don't follow the Feingold diet, but I've been involved with several families who do (including cooking meals for them), so I understand the diet quiet a bit.

I would guess that there was probably some form of dairy or wheat gluten in the dental work. I know when my friend's children (two specific children) have an accidental reaction they both get rashes on their chest (just where they get their rashes) and they have *serious* behavior symptoms. One of the children will not sleep for 3-4 days after an accidental exposure.

I would ask what all they did and used. I would be concerned that the temp work has the culprit and he is still being exposed at small amounts.

Good luck.

kris

I spent 15 yrs. in the dental field. If it was an allergy to latex you would see skin reaction around the field where the latex came in contact with skin.

That isn't how my ds reacts to latex - his reaction feels like bugs under the skin and it spreads from the contact site fairly quickly. If he doesn't get away quickly he feels faint, sweaty, and all around really bad.