Menu

everyday math. . .

I can see that they are learning much more advanced topics much earlier than with Investigations. Most importantly, it really clicks with my kids (but math is their strong point), and by the time we get to the concept in MUS, they often know it already. Having learned with a traditional approach, I don't personally understand EM and I can see that there are definitely weaknesses. But it really seems to help kids understand why they are doing what they are doing.

Understanding the why is certainly necessary and beneficial - but it is also necessary to make the algorithms automatic and to be proficient in just doing the calculations and doing them fast without having to think about the procedure every single time.

It has been my experience that those skills are sorely lacking in students.

Why do you think there are extremely few things that will definitely happen?

I may have read the assignment incorrectly then. I thought it meant something will happen without providing a certain condition. So from you list I would only take the one about death. If we can add conditions, then yes, you are right. The problem is that we rarely can ensure that those conditions will be met with 100% probability.

ETA . I still think it is a very weak curriculum, since it seems to emphasize anything but the arithmetic skills.

Edited by OlgaLA