Menu

Need advice on getting started with Spell to Write and Read

I decided to bite the bullet and get SWR for my dc. I will be using it to teach my ds5 to read, with my ds9 who is struggling with reading, and my dd10 for spelling. The kit hasn't arrived but I thought I would ask for some insight into getting started with it. I know it's suppose to be a hard program to understand at first so I'm probably going to need all the help I can get!

Besides those getting started helps (Liz Fitzgerald's and OhElizabeth's) listed on the other thread, I wanted to make sure you knew about the SWR yahoo group. It has been a huge resource for me. I choose to receive every e-mail (there is also a digest option) so that I can read everyone's questions. Wanda Sanseri or a SWR trainers respond to every question. They also have a lot of files including getting started, games & reinforcements, and preschooler & beginning readers. Here is the link. It's very helpful.

The most important think IMO is sitting down and making your own log book. Tabbing the books is also a good first step. I followed the recommendation for tabbing in Liz Fitzgerald's start guide even though I didn't know what I was doing at the time. It's worked out perfectly.

Don't try to understand the whole book before you start the program. A lot will make more sense once you get going. Focus on steps 1-12. The schedules in the back of SWR are really helpful to get going and what I based my K schedule off of.

HTH,

Thanks for the help. The recommendations on Liz Fitzgeralds site seem a bit overwhelming and a lot of information to process! I have a lot of work ahead of me. They recommend buying the log books from the site but could I get away with using a composition book? I can't wait for the kit to come!

I printed out her guide and then focused on one step at a time. That helped. Books tabbed and labeled--check. Organinze teacher binder--check. Student binder--check (I wouldn't really do this in your situation until you see what you need/want. Maybe just have a binder with tabs to keep student's work in to start.) Start reading book and making log.

Of course, her guide will make a lot more sense when you get the materials in. BTW, did you get any primary logs? I'd start any dc in 3rd or below in the primary log. They are preformatted (unlike the black logs) and very helpful for a first time teacher (and student). They don't include every reference page because you typically don't do all of them with K-2 students, but you could always do additional reference pages on a separate peice of paper if you need to.

HTH,

I printed out her guide and then focused on one step at a time. That helped. Books tabbed and labeled--check. Organinze teacher binder--check. Student binder--check (I wouldn't really do this in your situation until you see what you need/want. Maybe just have a binder with tabs to keep student's work in to start.) Start reading book and making log.

Of course, her guide will make a lot more sense when you get the materials in. BTW, did you get any primary logs? I'd start any dc in 3rd or below in the primary log. They are preformatted (unlike the black logs) and very helpful for a first time teacher (and student). They don't include every reference page because you typically don't do all of them with K-2 students, but you could always do additional reference pages on a separate peice of paper if you need to.

HTH,

I will start printing! No I did not order the any of the logs. I bought the kit used on this board which didn't include any logs. I was wondering if I could just use composition books? What is the benefit of using their logs? They sound like they are time saving. My dd10 is in 4th grade so I would use the black learning log with her and the primary learning log with my ds5 and ds9?

Thanks

I will start printing! No I did not order the any of the logs. I bought the kit used on this board which didn't include any logs. I was wondering if I could just use composition books? What is the benefit of using their logs? They sound like they are time saving. My dd10 is in 4th grade so I would use the black learning log with her and the primary learning log with my ds5 and ds9?

Thanks

The only difference between a regular comp book and the black logbook is that the logbook is 50 pages whereas a comp book is 100 pages. Both SWR and Spalding say that the extra 50 pages can make it hard for younger hands to write in them and can cause penmanship issues. I don't have any first-hand experience with that, though. You might want to do both your ds 9 and dd 10 both in the black logbook/comp book if they'll be doing the program together.

I'd definitely start your ds 5 in the primary log. It has the wider lines with a dashed line in the middle which would help his penmanship. All of the reference pages are preformatted so you just fill in the info. Visually, it is nice to have a preformatted book especially for a young beginner. It is free of clutter and my ds never wonders where the info goes. If you choose not to buy a primary log book, I'd format his reference pages yourself with a pen. There will be erasing :) I'm placing my last SWR order this spring and will be buying enough logbooks to last us a couple of years. The logbooks are cheap, but shipping and handling could be more than the order. I wonder if you can get them from RR, CBD, or Amazon. I haven't looked for them there.

I'd think about... Cursive First.... It's recommended and a time saver if you ask me. It actually goes with reading phonetically. (Teaching Printing first, came about the time of "whole word memorization for reading.) France and other spots, still do cursive first.

Remember that even if you don't do the WHOLE program... it will still work. I have Writing Road To Reading, and I use Cursive First... and I got to go to a mini private seminar at the SRW lady's home... (Wanda's) and I've done bits and pieces and am happy with our results.

:-)

I'd think about... Cursive First.... It's recommended and a time saver if you ask me. It actually goes with reading phonetically. (Teaching Printing first, came about the time of "whole word memorization for reading.) France and other spots, still do cursive first.

Remember that even if you don't do the WHOLE program... it will still work. I have Writing Road To Reading, and I use Cursive First... and I got to go to a mini private seminar at the SRW lady's home... (Wanda's) and I've done bits and pieces and am happy with our results.

:-)

Teaching cursive first throws me off a little. Won't my ds5 have to learn print to be able to read out of books? Books aren't written in cursive after all. I thought about getting Cursive first for my older two as they haven't learned cursive yet. :blushing:

Thanks for the links Tiara!

Teaching cursive first throws me off a little. Won't my ds5 have to learn print to be able to read out of books? Books aren't written in cursive after all. I thought about getting Cursive first for my older two as they haven't learned cursive yet. :blushing:

Thanks for the links Tiara!

I felt the same way at the beginning of this year :D.

JSYK...starting with cursive or manuscript won't change the program at all. Don't stress too much over the decision. With that said, I started my 5yo with manuscript because I felt that I needed to remediate some bad manuscript habits with manuscript. It worked and now he wants to learn cursive (or fancy writing as he calls it) as soon as Cursive First gets here (which should be by Monday...yay). I plan on starting my next ds with cursive, though. I've felt that learning manuscript this year was an unneeded step for us plus my middle guy is left-handed and I think cursive will be easier in the long run for him.

Also, manuscript isn't exactly the same as book print, but kids seem to recognize and read 'a' and 'g' just fine. They see so much print that I can't imagine not recognizing the letters in books just because they learned to write in cursive first. Just something to think about.

Stacey,

Teaching the foundational subjects of Spelling/Reading/Writing and Math are so important, that they are first and foremost in my house, after spending years trying to remediate one of my oldest children. Now that I have 4 littles again who are learning English, and one who is CAPD, no short term memory, difficult recall, dyslexic, dysgraphic, etc, the SWR is so important to our daily education that I am thankful I did not give up.

At first glance, the learning curve seems steep, but if you follow the steps (1-12) and suggested method as posted by Liz, plus take your time getting started, you will find that you are building skills to last a lifetime.

Currently my DD9 who is learning English is doing very well at the K level, but she has definitely progressed. She doesn't read fluently yet, but she knows almost all the phonograms, lots of rules, and how to sound out the words to spell the Lists, plus figure out the markings.

I do spend a bit of time doing this, probably an hour each day total to teach 4 children this method, but it is worth it to me. I did attend a seminar which was so beneficial, but I think many folks learn how to without the seminar. Just be sure to follow the dictation instructions so you are utilizing all the senses and the child is "teaching" back to you with reviewing each word. An instruction board is necessary. We use a white board. My kids love to use it also.

Play lots of games and mix up the way you reinforce the words through the week. The fingergrams are essential also and you will get used to doing those. That visual really helps the child to "see" which phonogram they need to use. And I don't worry about giving my children "hints" along the way. Keeps the frustration level down especially in these formative years. Keep it light and exciting.

Blessings!

Edited by lisafriess
spelling :)

Stacey,

Teaching the foundational subjects of Spelling/Reading/Writing and Math are so important, that they are first and foremost in my house, after spending years trying to remediate one of my oldest children. Now that I have 4 littles again who are learning English, and one who is CAPD, no short term memory, difficult recall, dyslexic, dysgraphic, etc, the SWR is so important to our daily education that I am thankful I did not give up.

At first glance, the learning curve seems steep, but if you follow the steps (1-12) and suggested method as posted by Liz, plus take your time getting started, you will find that you are building skills to last a lifetime.

Currently my DD9 who is learning English is doing very well at the K level, but she has definitely progressed. She doesn't read fluently yet, but she knows almost all the phonograms, lots of rules, and how to sound out the words to spell the Lists, plus figure out the markings.

I do spend a bit of time doing this, probably an hour each day total to teach 4 children this method, but it is worth it to me. I did attend a seminar which was so beneficial, but I think many folks learn how to without the seminar. Just be sure to follow the dictation instructions so you are utilizing all the senses and the child is "teaching" back to you with reviewing each word. An instruction board is necessary. We use a white board. My kids love to use it also.

Play lots of games and mix up the way you reinforce the words through the week. The fingergrams are essential also and you will get used to doing those. That visual really helps the child to "see" which phonogram they need to use. And I don't worry about giving my children "hints" along the way. Keeps the frustration level down especially in these formative years. Keep it light and exciting.

Blessings!

Great words of advice!!