Menu

Question about combining SOTW 2 and MOH 2..

michaeljenn

I am wanting to combine SOTW 2 with MOH 2, and have found several resources on different websites that combine the two. However, there is so much jumping around in the already scheduled resources that it is making my head boggle.

I am wondering if anyone just read through both of the resources in order of each book, without trying to match everything up perfectly. For example, we may learn about Knights of the Round Table in MOH weeks before we come to it in SOTW. I hope this is making sense. Do you think this would confuse the kiddo's.

My plan is to read MOH and SOTW, and have the older children outline the Kingfisher that corresponds with the SOTW chapter.

I would love your opinion, or maybe another way to approach this.

THANKS;)

Jennifer,

I didn't do that with SOTW, but I did with MOH 1 and SL Core 2. It worked out fine.

Now I am doing it with TOW and History of the US. We do TOG as a group and my oldest is such a history buff she wants more, so I read one chapter out of History of the US to her a day. It works.

Heather

• 1 year later...

We just finished our year of combining MOH 2 and SOTW 2.

I think simply reading each in order would be challenging. They really do start at quite different times - MOH starts just after the death of Jesus (29 AD ish) and SOTW starts just after the fall of Rome (476 ish). MOH takes about 20 lessons to get to the fall of Rome. By lesson 20 in SOTW, you are getting into the 1200's.

The two books actually combine quite well with the Paula's archives resources (link posted previously). The simplest thing to do is pick which one you want to be your spine and read that one in order. Supplement with the matched up chapter of the other curriculum. It really wasn't hard. It took me about 30 minutes to enter the schedule the way I wanted it (using one of those Paula's archives resources) into Excel.

We used MOH as our spine for a couple of reasons. But, the most compelling is that I wanted to use her fantastic tests and quizzes (excellent question, awesome review). Since her tests and quizzes have so much review, it is better to do MOH in order.

We all really enjoyed our year of history. MOH 2 was a great match - level-wise - for my 12-year old and the SOTW was a great match for my 7-year-old. I love the book and movie recommendations from MOH for my older and the book recommendations from SOTW for the younger. We did note cards and outlining of MOH for the older, and narrations from SOTW for the younger. Everybody dislikes crafts and activities, so we just skip all those in both books:)

It really worked out quite well.

We will be starting MOH 3 in a couple of weeks, and I have already aligned MOH 3 with the last half of SOTW 2 and the first half of SOTW 3.

Very exciting.

HTH!

Edited by debbielong

I combined the 2 without a lot of stressful planning. I just looked ahead decided what I wanted to teach from each. Some lessons in MOH I liked better than the presentation in SOTW and vice versa. Sometimes they complimented each other quite well.