Menu

Singapore Math questions

ProudGrandma

The US Edition does. Not sure if Standards teaches Metric or not.

I've just been using rulers and counters of different sorts. Now that we're doing bar models I'm finding cuisenaire rods useful.

so then did you buy the manipulatives from the company...or just something that will work?

Kathy

I buy my books from BestEduSource.com and they don't sell manipulatives. I did forget to mention that we use our little gram linking cubes the most. (I didn't pay that much for mine, but I wanted to link where you could see what I was talking about.)

As far as counters go, I use whatever is available. Crayons and highlighters are used a lot since they're within arms reach. I also have some nickel sized clear colored discs.

The book suggests using discs with 1, 10, 100, 1000 written on them and I just wrote the values on different colors of poker chips and they work well, though we don't use them very often.

Does it teach both metric and American units of measure? And what manipulatives are needed? I have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders.

Kathy

With various of my children, I have used Singapore PM 1A-6B and NEM 1-2. (I have the original 3rd edition for 3A-6B, and the US Edition for 1-2. I have also used/am using US Edition workbooks for 1A-4B, and will be using US edition workbooks for 5A-6B.)

All the versions currently available for elementary level teach both metric and American measurement. The US edition was developed specifically to add US money and measurements, and also to replace some of the Singapore names and foods with US names and foods.

The book shows pictures of various objects (flowers, balls, coins, cards, stamps, marbles, etc.) as manipulatives. The teacher is expected to use whatever is on hand for the students to get hands-on practice with the new concepts. I use primarily Cuisenaire rods, though I have also used crayons, legos, coins, toys, and drawings on small dry-erase boards. Base 10 blocks would also work well, if they are easier for you to get than Cuisenaire rods.

The 3rd grade book does show index cards cut to different sizes and labeled 10,000; 20,000; 1000; 2000; 100; 200; 10; 20; 1; 2; etc (from 1-9 of each place value through the ten thousands place). These cards are then overlapped to show a written number, then broken apart to show how the number is formed by adding the different place values. I can see how this would be very helpful for a child who struggles with this concept, but I haven't had a child who needed it, so I haven't made these cards. I still have one child left to go on that level, and if he needs it I can easily buy a pack of index cards and make this manipulative.

Singapore Math is very flexible about manipulatives. It is not like some programs that are designed around a specific manipulative and need to be taught with that manipulative.

Edited by Spock

There's two Singapore online classes for parents/teachers on ed2go, and one of the nice things about it is that you get printable templates for a lot of the teaching materials, as well as some guidance on using the program. The first is on the computational framework, and the second on model drawing.

As far as manipulatives, I got the Saxon K-3 home school set really cheap used, and have found that I can find something in that kit that I can make work for Singapore, too.

how teacher intensive is it? I have 3 kids at 3 different levels and Saxon is VERY teacher intensive and I am looking for something that isn't so much...is Singapore going to fit THAT bill?

It's not nearly as teacher intensive as Saxon, in my opinion.