Menu

How often do companies require a physical exam?

For something that requires your body, like the military, I wouldn't bat an eye at such a requirement. For an overseas position or something out of the ordinary, such a requirement makes sense to me.

But what about your average, run of the mill job? Drug test, sure. Medical exam? That seems kinda nuts to me--am I missing something?

For something that requires your body, like the military, I wouldn't bat an eye at such a requirement. For an overseas position or something out of the ordinary, such a requirement makes sense to me.

But what about your average, run of the mill job? Drug test, sure. Medical exam? That seems kinda nuts to me--am I missing something?

Are they self-insured? Maybe it's a requirement for health insurance rates? I've never heard of such a requirement and would be curious to find out why this one does.

Barb

My father had to have a physical before he could be hired for the job. He is a plumbing inspector for a city and he had to get a doctor's okay for him to do the bending, crawling, walking, etc. Another guy who was to be hired at the same time failed it and he was not offered the job.

But see, that's a physical job. I could see something like that for someone who's driving for a living, too. But an office job? I'm already a suspicious person, I don't need companies asking for more information to feed my paranoia! :lol:

I work for a hospital and we had to have a physical exam at the EMployee Health office prior to hire. This included things like vaccines etc if necessary. For me, it was determined that I was not immune to measles so I had to have that shot again. Now, I am just required to have TB tests annually.