Menu

Need a good chef's knife...recommendations?

I have a Henckel's 4 Star that I've had for 14 years...I wouldn't trade it for anything! BUUUUUT, it wasn't cheap, even then.

So I checked Cook's Illustrated reviews for you (I had remembered they had reviewed "cheap" chef's knives a few issues back). Their highly recommended top pick of for a chef knife under $50 was the Forschner Victorinox Fibrox Chef's Knife for $22 (to read link you have to have an online subscription). The review is as follows:

One tester summed it up: "Premium-quality knife at a bargain price." Knives costing four times as much would be hard pressed to match its performance. The blade is curved and sharp; the handle comfortable. Overall, "sturdy" and "well- balanced."

Second place was Wüsthof Gourmet Cook's Knife for $49.95.

To read all of the reviews with a subscription, here's the link.

War Eagle! :001_smile:

I have to say that I've had many chef's knives over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that a quality one, which will not be inexpensive, is worth the money. Also, keeping it sharp (as in, running it through a manual sharpener a few times before using and before putting it away after you've hand washed it) is critical.

Having said that, I have a couple of Wustof Hollow Ground Santoku knives, and I ADORE them. Here's a link:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9283193/?cm_src=hero

I have this set (which I asked for for Mother's Day a couple of years ago) and also a 5" one (Ikon, not Classic). These do go on sale occasionally.

These knives are a joy. They also will take off your finger if you're not careful. :tongue_smilie:

HTH!

Holly

I have a Henckel's 4 Star that I've had for 14 years...I wouldn't trade it for anything! BUUUUUT, it wasn't cheap, even then.

So I checked Cook's Illustrated reviews for you (I had remembered they had reviewed "cheap" chef's knives a few issues back). Their highly recommended top pick of for a chef knife under $50 was the Forschner Victorinox Fibrox Chef's Knife for $22 (to read link you have to have an online subscription). The review is as follows:

One tester summed it up: "Premium-quality knife at a bargain price." Knives costing four times as much would be hard pressed to match its performance. The blade is curved and sharp; the handle comfortable. Overall, "sturdy" and "well- balanced."

Second place was Wüsthof Gourmet Cook's Knife for $49.95.

To read all of the reviews with a subscription, here's the link.

Wow! Thanks for this info. I've been putting off even looking for a good quality knife because I "knew" it would run me $100+ I'm definitely going to take a look at this one!

Hi Holly!

War Eagle back at you! :001_smile: I see you are from GA....that's my home state. I miss it.

I appreciate your input on the chef's knife. I will look into this one as well.

Thanks you for your recommendation.

War Eagle! :001_smile:

I have to say that I've had many chef's knives over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that a quality one, which will not be inexpensive, is worth the money. Also, keeping it sharp (as in, running it through a manual sharpener a few times before using and before putting it away after you've hand washed it) is critical.

Having said that, I have a couple of Wustof Hollow Ground Santoku knives, and I ADORE them. Here's a link:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9283193/?cm_src=hero

I have this set (which I asked for for Mother's Day a couple of years ago) and also a 5" one (Ikon, not Classic). These do go on sale occasionally.

These knives are a joy. They also will take off your finger if you're not careful. :tongue_smilie:

HTH!

Holly