Menu

TOG - moving from UG to D

As I continue to think and plan for next year, it is suddenly becoming clear to me that dd is really more ready for the D stage that I had realized. In looking at the TOG website, I see the following references to the D stage:

Dialectic

• Reads to learn

• Approximately grades 6-9

• Enjoys making connections and learning to debate

My dd is at about 8th grade level in reading (but is actually in 5th grade this year). We have been using UG books for 5th grade, as it is our first year with TOG and I did not want to overwhelm either of us. Most of the reading has been easy for her, but she does love the picture books and hands-on activities. When we get up to ages 11-12 though, I can see that she is going to need more than that.

Are there other benchmarks to be considered along with the points listed by TOG (above)? When did you know that your UG student was ready to move up to D?

Although I'm all in favor of customizing our plans and moving up and down as needed, but I'm not so sure I want to obtain all the books for one level only to realize that we need to be in another.

Blessings,

Lucinda

In my experience, puberty is a good indicator. Not the onset, but after about a year, it seems like their brains catch up to their bodies and you'll notice they can answer questions pertaining to reading more easily, readily and by connecting the dots in the the fiction and non-fiction reading assignments to each other, previous studies, maps and occasionally, even common sense. :D

What a tremendous difference! You really are able to jump from facts to receiving teaching on how to discuss. I have found that the discussion part took us about a 6 month transition from My Discussion to Our Discussion. You really have to teach a new skill, discussion.

For us, the challenge was patience. They wanted to know how right away, and I wanted them to, but after 6 months or so, I have been able to see the jump in understanding. It's kinda cool to see the stages of the trivium come to life!

Another indicator, speed. They just got faster reading the materials, which they'll need, as the literature suggestions are often much larger. If you dc loves to read, the lit. section is a nice place to start D.

Capability increase in math. Suddenly Algebra doesn't even seem intimidating. Their independence in other areas has shown improvement, and I attribute that to maturity.

Finally, how quickly are they finishing the UG materials. If they're flying through everything with ease, then they may also be ready for the challenge of D.

I know these are small examples, but the first to come to my mind (which IS in need of coffee this morning!)

Tina has given some great advice. I would only add a suggestion to purchase books for just Unit 1 to begin with so you can get a better feel for whether you're in the right level.

Also, don't feel you have to move up in all subject areas at once. In moving from UG to D, I do agree that lit is a good place to start. However, when moving from D to R lit it can be a huge jump and history might be a better place to start.

Would you like to learn from my mistakes?

My dd11 is a great reader - very fast, and she's done UG for the past 3 years. I figured this year would be a great year for her to start D work; I could put her with her older brother, who's in his last year of D before he hits high school and they could work together.

In some respects, it's been great. The two of them have especially enjoyed working on maps together. She's done great with the vocabulary, and doesn't have a problem with the actual reading of the material.

BUT. . . . . .

I have been lax. For quite a few weeks, she's showed up at discussions (Thursday morning) with only 1 or 2 questions answered. Yes, she's read every thing, but then apparently she's sitting down on Thursday morning, and trying to answer questions on the fly. So while she has the capability of reading the material, I don't think she has the maturity to work independently and be thoroughly prepared. (it doesn't help that she's the middle child, quiet, and can fly under the radar fairly well! ;))

So now, she and I have to have a check-in every day to see what she's accomplished. That's actually starting this week, so I'll have to let you know how it goes.

No advice, really, just wanted to share my experience.

Good luck!

Tina, that was great input. Thank you! I can see that I will have to schedule our week differently than with UG too, especially to include more open discussions that the D level will require.

Tina has given some great advice. I would only add a suggestion to purchase books for just Unit 1 to begin with so you can get a better feel for whether you're in the right level.

Also, don't feel you have to move up in all subject areas at once. In moving from UG to D, I do agree that lit is a good place to start. However, when moving from D to R lit it can be a huge jump and history might be a better place to start.

I had thought of only buying the books for the first unit too, and your post cinches the idea. I do think that dd can handle the lit and hist both, but we'll have to test out the other subjects when we get there.

Would you like to learn from my mistakes?

My dd11 is a great reader - very fast, and she's done UG for the past 3 years. I figured this year would be a great year for her to start D work; I could put her with her older brother, who's in his last year of D before he hits high school and they could work together.

In some respects, it's been great. The two of them have especially enjoyed working on maps together. She's done great with the vocabulary, and doesn't have a problem with the actual reading of the material.

BUT. . . . . .

I have been lax. For quite a few weeks, she's showed up at discussions (Thursday morning) with only 1 or 2 questions answered. Yes, she's read every thing, but then apparently she's sitting down on Thursday morning, and trying to answer questions on the fly. So while she has the capability of reading the material, I don't think she has the maturity to work independently and be thoroughly prepared. (it doesn't help that she's the middle child, quiet, and can fly under the radar fairly well! ;))

So now, she and I have to have a check-in every day to see what she's accomplished. That's actually starting this week, so I'll have to let you know how it goes.

No advice, really, just wanted to share my experience.

Good luck!

Thanks Heather. Our situation is a bit different in that dd is the only child at home. She can't fly under the radar - but your post made me realize that she can put things off when she wants to. And she can whine and connive as she tries to convince me to extend deadlines. The check-in suggestion is a good one just because of that!

Blessings,

Lucinda