Menu

What is NOT a classical education?

Jenny in GA

My very simple definition would be that if it is not rooted in the languages, history, literature, and ideals of Classical cultures (ancient Rome and Greece) then it is not Classical education.

Classical education must, to my mind, include the study of Latin and/or Greek, logic, and rhetoric (and I am viewing them as subjects, not as stages, though that's an option as well), the history and literature of the cultures that gave us these gems, and the Great Books written by the people down through the centuries were were Classically educated and inspired themselves.

Anything else may be a very good education, but it just isn't Classical. Teaching history chronologically may be a brilliant idea (though I confess I don't do it!), but it has absolutely no bearing on whether or not your education is Classical. Extensive study of English grammar may also be a brilliant idea, but in and of itself is not Classical -- studying English grammar by way of Latin grammar, however, is. That is to say, I am not arguing that an education must be Classical to be valuable or effective. I'm only saying that to be Classical it must have certain elements handed down to us from Classical cultures. Any definition which would not include that would seem to me to be meaningless.

That's my $0.02 :001_smile:

I've often wondered if what I'm doing is considered classical or not. We use Sonlight. While it does not follow the four year history cycle it is systematic. My dd is doing core1 and we have just spent the year enjoying the books and getting to know these different people throughout history. I do not test or quiz her much. She just repeats back a few things she's learned. We read A LOT. For math we are using MUS and concentrating on memorizing math facts and getting the basics down. I use SWB's book for grammar and writing and I use SWR for spelling and phonics instruction (my dd reads on a 3rd grade level).

I figured that minus the four year history approach I would consider us somewhat classical. My end goal is to have a child well grounded in the basics of math, grammar, etc. by 8th grade; by the end of 12th the goal is to graduate a student the can think and reason in an articulate manner.

This has been a fascinating thread!:bigear:

I figured that minus the four year history approach I would consider us somewhat classical. My end goal is to have a child well grounded in the basics of math, grammar, etc. by 8th grade; by the end of 12th the goal is to graduate a student the can think and reason in an articulate manner.

A four year history cycle is NOT necessary for a classical education. I actually don't think it has much to do with it at all, other than the idea behind it.

The part that I bolded makes you oretty classical, imho. :001_smile: