Menu

Hakim's History of US & PBS Study guides...

Poke Salad Annie

These:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/teachers/primer.html

How do they compare with the guides for purchase?

The first thing I notice is that the sample set of pdfs posted is for the 2nd edition, not the third (current).

Sample lesson #10 is for Chapter 38 while sample lesson #13 is for Chapter 16 (I'm looking at book 2 which is what ds and I are currently studying). So the pdf guide seems to skip around far too much for me. I also don't see where you'd get more than the samples... unless it may be for a book you could buy separately.

I've been using these guides. They help me organize the material, but there's still a lot of organizing I do. They do have some projects and ideas (like we taped off a section of the floor to indicate how much space each adult had on the Mayflower), but it's definitely not open and go.

I did get the testing book to do the multiple choice tests for reading comprehension. That's gone well.

You can look inside the teaching guides at amazon and do a bit of a comparison to the pbs guides (which look very incomplete).

I wish there were an open & go guidebook to History of US, but I haven't found one yet.

It can all be so confusing, but I did spend a couple of weeks researching all of this and this is what I found:

The PBS site has study guides to accompany their webisode segments. The guides seems to have very interesting activities, mostly designed as cooperative group activities, but I think you could probably adapt many to home use. You would have to try to match these up the the corresponding book chapters as the webisodes have an organization of their own. These study guides are all indiviually downloaded rather than being in one document. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/teachers/guides.html

Also somewhere at their website (I couldn't find it right now), there are samples of the teaching guides to accompany the books. These guides are by the same authors, John Hopkins Univ, as the webisode guides and have similarly designed cooperative type activities.

Oxford Univ. Press publishes a teaching guide and study guide for each book. I'm using the middle school level ones. The teaching guide divides the book into different units. At the beginning of each unit, there are discussion questions to guide the student to thinking about the big ideas. Each chapter gives a chapter summary, key vocabulary, comprehension and thinking questions (with answers), and a writing prompt. Every few chapters there is a worksheet to copy for students to explore a topic further. At the end of each unit, there are debate questions, thinking questions, suggested projects and activities, an assessment, suggested essay questions, and a cooperative learning activity written by the John Hopkins team.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Nation-Teaching-Guide-History/dp/0195188896/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264998046&sr=8-25

The student study guide is open and go for the student to work from with vocabulary exercises, various critical thinking exercises, a short excerpt from primary sources with questions, suggested writing prompts. All the answers however are in the teaching guide above.

I use both the teaching guide and student guide. I think the questions from the teaching guide are great, but I also like my dc to do some of the independent assignments from the student guide. If I only could choose one, I would choose the teaching guide because it helps me discuss the chapters with dc.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Terrible-Student-Study-Guide/dp/0195188853/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264998171&sr=1-2

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your research. Do I understand that there are separate guides for elementary and then middle grades/sr. high?

I see now that the guides on pbs.org were only samples, but may work for my purposes. It don't think it would be too hard to use what's there and organize the best into one guide for all the books. At least it would give me a jumping off point with some of the discussion questions, and I can get an idea about how I'd like to organize our work.

Thank you again for your work in explaining the extra guides.