Menu

x-post from k-8 board. Can I get some opinions of BJU pre-algebra?

and I am not a "Math" mom!

Very easy to teach. There are review questions in the TM for every lesson. There are quizzes every 3 lessons or so. There are 3 different Lesson plans, to give you an idea which/how many problems to assign for each lesson. And there's even a "year plan" suggesting how many class sessions to take for each chapter. (This has been very helpful for keeping us on track!)

We normally just read through the lesson together, then quickly (orally) go over the Skill Check (class practice problems). It is very well laid out, and on occasion, my ds has been able to read and complete the lesson himself.

My post on the other board is lengthier. Basically, I need a good strong pre-algebra for 10 yo ds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Stacy

I had one go through it already and one doing it next year. BJU math is great. It is very thorough, easy to teach and understand, good review, good balance of story problems and drill. My kids have scored 99th percentile on tests every year. It is always right in line with the scope and sequence of things.

• 2 months later...
I am debating whether to switch to another program for Algebra 1 or continue with BJU for one more year. I do NOT like BJU Geometry or Algebra 2 courses. They are not very "non-math-mom friendly"!

That is good to know. I am thinking of switching to Teaching Textbooks for Algebra II for next year. I am an "ok math mom" and have a Ph.D. in statistics in our home (dh), but I still want something more user friendly too for the higher stuff.