Menu

I'm looking for an art & music appreciation course

I'm looking for an art & music appreciation course for 13-16 year olds, not necessarily for high school credit, just enrichment. I'd like something that could be used in a weekly co-op setting. Preferably something with activities but not too much homework/prep work required for the students or teacher. I could spend the summer coming up with something but I'd love it if an outline already exists!

I think that CBD has them or at least one of them.

The Music Appreciation Course comes with the music selections to listen to, some worksheets and quizzes/test.

The Art Appreciation Course lessons are about 2 weeks per lesson. The first week you will study the material given, answering questions in perspective and understanding the painting, method, or whatever was the lesson that week, and the second week is break into daily lessons to actually put in practice (painting, drawing, etc) what was discussed the week before. These two courses are to be covered in a year.

Is this sounds to complicated, there is also a book for art "Discovering Great Artists" by MaryAnn F. Kohl and Kim Solga. Is a hands-on art for children in the styles of the Great Masters. A little bit of info, material list and how-to.

HTH

Harmony Fine Arts is a curriculum designed by a homeschool mom for fine arts appreciation. I'm using it for grammar stage and really like it. She also has levels designed for logic and rhetoric stages. Here is a link:

http://www.harmonyfinearts.com/

It has everything, I believe, for which you are looking!

I only wish I had looked at this sooner! I'm planning on it for next year. Looks very complete, easy to use (even for people like me!), and inexpensive.

I have been using the 6th and 8th grade schedules with my kids ,and I love it! I can get involved if I want to, but they can also work on their own with it. She gives 3 different schedules to pick from, one of them uses Artistic Pursuits. We use the Artistic Pursuits and then use her suggestions for reading out of Usborne's Introduction to Art. (it has fantastic internet links).

Barb is very friendly , and also hosts a website that encouraged Nature Notebook and drawing in general:)

HTH

J