Menu

If doing a "gap" year, when should ds take the SAT?

I think taking the SAT after senior year would be cutting things way too close and would be very stressful. Keep in mind your ds will need to be doing his college applications during the fall of that gap year, and so the either the fall or the Dec SAT test date (depending on the college) would be the absolute latest he could take it to get scores to the colleges in time.

I'd recommend taking the SAT in the senior year (and earlier rather than later, in case he wants to retake it) so that it's all taken care of well before college application time.

And if, as you go along, you decide not to do a gap year, then you should look at doing the SAT in the junior year at the latest.

HTH! :001_smile:

It's better to take the tests while school is fresh in your mind. I had a gap year or two myself, and when I went to take college entrance tests, it was a strain. I did fine, but it would have been easier while I was still in high school.

My oldest had a gap year with Army Reserves, and he took the college tests at the usual times during high school.

Julie