Menu

If you've been to both London and Paris...

Thank you, thank you, thank you all so much for sharing this information!!! I'm so sorry I don't have time to reply to everyone individually, but wow, I never expected so many replies!

I'm going to share what you've said with hubby, and keep researching and thinking. It sounds like we really can't go wrong either way! And while I knew that getting from London to Paris wasn't quite like getting from NY to LA, I didn't realize it could be done that quickly or cheaply. So maybe we won't have to choose between the two after all. I'm trying to talk dh into staying longer, too, so if I'm successful there, obviously no reason we couldn't do both.

DD loves the idea of seeing the Rosetta Stone, and a Shakespearean play at the Globe. She actually jumped up and down. Over Shakespeare. She's a very different child than I was at 10 (for which I am glad!). But she also very much wants to see the Louvre, so it's a tough call. Maybe we will just have to do both!

Thanks again!

ETA: I also want to thank those who mentioned renting an apartment (or a dorm room - never would have thought of that!) and doing our own grocery shopping. Also, those who mentioned getting out of the city and experiencing the countryside. That sounds FUN, and more like the kind of experience I am hoping to have.

Edited by GretaLynne

I took my 17 year old dd to London and Paris over the Christmas holiday, and I absolutely loved Paris more. I don't know if I would enjoy it as much with a child who didn't have the understanding/appreciation of history and art that my kid has. The Louvre was amazing! The British Museum is free, but we didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Louvre.

We speak no french. We got lost several times, took the metro everywhere, stayed in the world's tiniest hotel room with the world's tiniest shower. And I spent more money than I ever thought I could spend in four days.

Paris is a dirty city, and it requires a ton of walking. But we really enjoy finding our way around a strange city. DD always had coins in her pocket to give to beggars and musicians.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all so much for sharing this information!!! I'm so sorry I don't have time to reply to everyone individually, but wow, I never expected so many replies!

I'm going to share what you've said with hubby, and keep researching and thinking. It sounds like we really can't go wrong either way! And while I knew that getting from London to Paris wasn't quite like getting from NY to LA, I didn't realize it could be done that quickly or cheaply. So maybe we won't have to choose between the two after all. I'm trying to talk dh into staying longer, too, so if I'm successful there, obviously no reason we couldn't do both.

DD loves the idea of seeing the Rosetta Stone, and a Shakespearean play at the Globe. She actually jumped up and down. Over Shakespeare. She's a very different child than I was at 10 (for which I am glad!). But she also very much wants to see the Louvre, so it's a tough call. Maybe we will just have to do both!

Thanks again!

ETA: I also want to thank those who mentioned renting an apartment (or a dorm room - never would have thought of that!) and doing our own grocery shopping. Also, those who mentioned getting out of the city and experiencing the countryside. That sounds FUN, and more like the kind of experience I am hoping to have.

If you do end up in London, I highly highly recommend the Tower of London. The Beefeaters give the best tours, ever. In all my varied travels this has always been my favorite tour. Very informative, very funny, lots of cool stuff to see--it's packed with all the right things.

Have a lovely trip!

Just a tip. When we went last April the Eurostar was MUCH more expensive than flying on the low cost airlines. We ended up flying from London to Paris and Paris to Rome on the low cost carriers and had no problems and saved lots over taking the train. Yes, the train is probably more fun but if you are counting the days - I say fly!

I wondered about that. So noted. Good tip!

If you do end up in London, I highly highly recommend the Tower of London. The Beefeaters give the best tours, ever. In all my varied travels this has always been my favorite tour. Very informative, very funny, lots of cool stuff to see--it's packed with all the right things.

Have a lovely trip!

Yes! My 10 yr old is so wanting to see The Tower of London! We were planning a trip this summer because her brother was going to be doing this semester in Greece. We were going to meet him in London after he travelled some. Instead, he is going to Japan next winter. I don't see how he can do that (more costly program) and she can see London. Wah. She's only 10, there is time.

Dave Ramsey would die. He would just die if he got a look at our financial priorities. :tongue_smilie: