Menu

Anyone ever take nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin, Macrobid) for an infection?

I'm very VERY nervous about taking drugs that I've never taken before. I had a mild UTI and started this med yesterday. I'm about to take my 4th dose (2 yesterday and 1 this morning). I got online (big mistake) and read all the horror stories about this drug. The doc at the urgent care tried to give me a sulfa drug yesterday but I told her that I had heard too many bad things about them and I wanted something else. So she prescribed this.

Now I'm freaked!! I think I'm imagining symptoms.....yes, I'm a total hyprochondriac. I woke up in the middle of the night last night with chills (no fever) that just wouldn't quit. So I called the pharmacist today and she told me that chills were not really a complaint of the drug and I could call my doctor and ask them if I wanted. But she reassured me that this is usually a very safe drug. However, the reviews online were horrible and scary!

Has anyone ever taken this drug before?

Yes, for a UTI last winter. Worked very quickly. I always feel SOOOO sick when I have a UTI (like I have the flu) and always have chills from the UTI itself.

Oh, I sure hope you feel better! They are LOUSY. I thought I was getting one last week, and kept it at bay by taking the highest dosage allowed of cranberry pills...try taking some of those in addition to the macrobid. And stop reading those medical message boards!!! (I"m VERY guilty of doing this and freaking myself out.)

It's been several years, but I have taken Macrobid a few times in my early twenties for UTIs. Maybe I had one or two a year?? Can't remember. I don't recall ever having any side effects. Fortunately, I haven't had a UTI since having children, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the Macrobid again. I don't allow myself to read the side effects though....:lol: I am very open to the "power of suggestion/placebo effect" when it comes to medicines. ;)

It's been several years, but I have taken Macrobid a few times in my early twenties for UTIs. Maybe I had one or two a year?? Can't remember. I don't recall ever having any side effects. Fortunately, I haven't had a UTI since having children, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the Macrobid again. I don't allow myself to read the side effects though....:lol: I am very open to the "power of suggestion/placebo effect" when it comes to medicines. ;)

Yes, I'm very open to the "power of suggestion" as well LOL. I think I experienced most side effects listed on the package today. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the replies! It makes me feel better! Instead of just Macrodantin, maybe I need a :chillpill: pill too LOL.

It is a common med prescribed for several things including UTIs. It is usually very well tolerated (read this as having few side effects) and is quite effective in treating UTIs. I wouldn't hesitate to take it personally...and I tend to be fairly selective about drugs that I take.

The other benefit to taking it for a UTI is that the treatment is typically very short, and you will feel the effects quickly so you know it is working. :D

Hope you feel better soon. Just remember that people like to complain on the internet, but seldom post raves. You aren't getting a fair representation of the facts by reading about random people and their ideas of what side effects were from the drug....and what were symptoms of the illness they were treating.

:iagree: Every drug on the market lists many potential side effects. OTOH I would not hesitate to take many of the tried and true drugs if they were needed. I am a little leary of brand new drugs since I like to see a little track record IMHO.