Menu

Readings to coordinate with Rainbow Book of American History

Poke Salad Annie

I have had this book for a couple of years, and I'm just now figuring out how I want to use it. Instead of starting with ancients for this year, we'll wait until next year and use Builders of the Old World by Gertrude Hartman.

So, I was looking through the books I have on hand, most of which came from various thrift stores, and stumbled on this: The Heritage of America by Commager and Nevins. I am loving this already after skimming through the TOC, and have looked over some of the readings. There are so many readings in this book that will dovetail very nicely with the chapters in Rainbow Book of American History.

For example, the chapter "Black Robe--Marquette and Joliet, 1673" in the Rainbow Book, works very well with the chapter reading "Marquette and Joliet Float down the Mississippi" in the Heritage of America book. This reading is a first-hand account of the journey, and is only about 3 pages long. Very nice.

What I plan to do is first cover the chapter in the Rainbow Book, then add in any mapwork or activity, then cover the reading in the Heritage book. For the very first chapter in the Rainbow Book, "They Never Tasted Dew So Sweet", we will add in the nice game from Ellen McHenry's site "Viking Voyages". Then we will do the associated reading in the Heritage book, "Leif Ericson Sails to Vineland".

So far I have not found a chapter in the Rainbow book that does not have a go-along reading in the Heritage book. Many of the readings in the Heritage book are first hand accounts from different sources. For the chapter on whaling in the Rainbow Book, will will read an excerpt taken from Moby Dick that is in the Heritage book.

If you have a copy of the Rainbow book, the Heritage of America book is worth finding as a great extension of the lessons. I saw used copies on Alibris for ~$2 or so. You would get a lot for that, as you can use this book up through 8th grade or so for extra readings.

Aargh!! I just now found this on the archive.org website to download for free! I'm sorry I didn't mention this before, but I only saw this a few minutes ago. I wish I could have saved you some money, but it's not an expensive book. Here's the link and you can browse through it with the "read online" link:

http://www.archive.org/details/heritageofameric031208mbp